No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori Paperweight ID Help?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Millefiori Paperweight ID Help?
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:22:44 AM »
Hi everyone!

As you can see, I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm still quite new to paperweight collecting. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about identifying them, so I figured I'd come here for some help. I was wondering if anyone could identify the maker of this interesting millefiori paperweight (I think), and I'm also very interested in finding out approximately how old it might be (I picked it up from a local antique store). It wasn't very expensive, so I'm not expecting anything fancy - just curious. It has a nice weight to it, and measures about 3 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches high.

Thanks for any knowledge you can offer!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Millefiori Paperweight ID Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »
Welcome to the message board Alex.

Your weight is from Murano and probably made by Fratelli Toso, probably because Fratelli Toso made and sold canes to other glass makers who then made their own paperweights with them. However yours does look right for FT with that high dome, their domes are not always perfectly smooth too. My guess for a date would be sometime between the 60s and the 80s.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alex

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Re: Millefiori Paperweight ID Help?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 01:35:27 AM »
Ah, I suspected it might have been a Murano paperweight. Thanks for the reply John! I appreciate the info.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand