No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oiva Toikka bird mark-what does it say - ID = O. Toikka Napapiiri  (Read 2098 times)

Offline FrankieCat17

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • United States
Hello, I am from Oregon, USA and found a bird at a church sale over the weekend. I didn't realize it was signed until I returned home. I see that it is etched on the bottom O. Toikka and possibly vapap uri with the two dots over the u. I have tried finding what this stands for with no luck. If anyone could help with the translation I would greatly appreciate the help. Also, are all of the birds made in each year similar in color or design. Thank You

Mod: Linked images removed and replaced with copies stored on the board

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Oiva Toikka bird mark-what does it say
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 07:40:22 AM »
It's by the Finnish maker Nuutajärvi. Here's a link to my recent post which has a link to the Birds by Oiva Toikka website which may help.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,71933.0.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 09:15:16 AM »
I should have said Nuutajärvi was the company he worked for, he usually signed with just his and the company name but he did sometimes add something else, perhaps the name of the bird in Finnish?
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline FrankieCat17

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 02:40:16 PM »
Ok, thank you for your response. I have looked through the link to your post before I posted. I was wondering if this bird had a name or if anyone has seen this color pattern. I have looked at many (hundreds if not thousands) of Toikka birds online and have not seen this one. Also, I have tried using online translators and the phrase below the etched signature is not translating for me. Ok, well, thanks for your help.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »
I think the word is Notsjo.
Nuutajarvi Notsjo is the full name of the company. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline FrankieCat17

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 04:30:30 PM »
So, a very helpful collector messaged me through the online auction site where I have this bird listed and told me what it says. I really appreciate that this collector was willing to help me. I was way off on my interpretation of the mark.

This is signed O. Toikka Napapiiri. This bird I have since found out is a limited edition I believe from 1986. Napapiiri stands for Arctic Circle. I believe it is/ was issued for one year only available through a Santa Claus Village offer. The bird is a Siberian Jay and I think the name is Kuukkeli.

Anyways, thanks...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 04:34:57 PM »
How interesting, and thanks very much for reporting back here with this new information. :)
The head is a slightly different shape to most birds I have seen, and the writing was very hard to make out from the pics - it was too easy to see a different word from the clues.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Oiva Toikka bird mark-what does it say - ID = O. Toikka Napapiiri
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 08:17:20 PM »
Hello FrankieCat17 and welcome to the board.  You have linked to your images held elsewhere, but these may disappear in time, so may we add copies of them onto the board itself so they stay here as a help to others seeking answers to similar questions?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline FrankieCat17

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 11:22:31 PM »
Hello, yes Anne you may add these to the board. These are my photos I personally took of this glass bird and I give my permission. Hope this helps someone in the future.

I am a total novice on glass. I am thrilled to find this site as it has a huge amount of information. I will be returning often just to learn!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 05:57:35 PM »
Hi FrankieCat17, thank you for allowing us to keep your images here, they will be useful I am sure. We have a wealth of information on the board and on our associated GlassGallery which is where we host ongoing collections and research projects http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/. If you get stuck using the board please feel free to ask for help - there are lots of handy hints and tips in the Help forum too but in case you can't find the answer there you can always email me to ask for help if you need it. Enjoy!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand