No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent vase with big applied flower  (Read 1067 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Opalescent vase with big applied flower
« on: June 28, 2022, 03:50:06 PM »
Bought this at a boot sale a few weeks ago, so far the only other example I have found is a taller variation for sale on ebay, like me the seller is in the dark.

Construction is fairly chunky, although it is only 12cm tall it weighs nearly 1kg. Some specks of ash in the base which has a couple of concentric rings ground down and polished flat - ring any bells?
Bit out of practice with my camera these days, not exactly like riding a bike...

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Opalescent vase with big applied flower
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 01:40:02 PM »
That's gorgeous :)

The base is a conundrum.  Completely polished flat and I'd have thought maybe Czech. But from your description it appears to be ridged - by that I mean with two concentric ring areas polished flat and the rest of the base concave between those two rings?  That's strange.  It doesn't have a polished pontil mark does it?  It just looks like it from the photograph.

I've only seen this opalescence on Sven Palmquist Selena, Oldrich Lipa and Karlin Rushbrooke pieces (I have a heavy thick jug from KR but classy straight design like your vase with an applied curious handle made of fingers).

Could it be something from Orrefors perhaps?  Maybe it is KR?  Bo Borgstrom also used a lovely opalescence and some pieces with appliques but not seen it in white.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »
Selkirk used an opalescent metal like this, just to add another user of this kind of colour.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:59:24 PM »
Not much wear on the base, gives me the impression it is fairly recent. I shied away from talking about any pontil mark because it is not that obvious what is going on. If there was one it has been heated and possibly shaped smooth, hard to be sure. Looking with magnification at that area I can see a slightly textured surface with just a few tiny bubbles and the odd impurity, that circular valley between the polished sections is much smoother and bubble free by comparison.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:15:45 PM »
I think not KR. The shape and base finish doesn't feel right.  He didn't sign everything as I have an unsigned piece but think he signed most.

I'm now inclined to think it might be Czech though.
That opalescence is gorgeous and they were fond of appliques in a classy stylish kinda way.  And if you've seen another taller version then it might have been in production from a bigger factory than a studio glass maker maybe is what I'm thinking?  Have no idea where from because the base finish is too strange for Moser but otherwise would have suggested it might have been by them c.60s.  I have two pieces with appliques from ... Karlovy Vary? ... though and they have polished flat bases.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:40:52 PM »
 Sugahara (Japanese glass) made this opalescent glass as well:

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/335/1650/lot/65425

Some info here apparently on Sugahara
https://japan-design.imazy.net/en/crafts/sghr/

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 09:53:38 PM »
Here is that taller variation: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234284337194

I might have a vague recollection of your two, did they have just a little colour in the applied sections?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »
I like your version more  :-[  of course.
The flower size and position on the vase is more proportionate somehow.

Anyway.  That base finish is very striking. Both done in exactly the same way.  Quite a lot of work to apply the flower then polish pontil and base.  Careful attention to quality and detail.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
Yes and the opalescence is subtle and the flower bold, wondered about Seguso at first.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 10:39:51 PM »
If it's Murano then I don't have a clue, sorry. 
But it's lovely and great quality it appears.

Mine have different appliques (two different designs) and I think the opalescence is a teeny bit more opalescent if you like. But the quality of yours would still fit with Czech.  It's just the base which is an anomaly, although beautifully done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand