No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta, pink bowl, Mona Morales-Schildt  (Read 2330 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Kosta, pink bowl, Mona Morales-Schildt
« on: July 26, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »
Not the typical Scandinavian piece:
powder pink hotworked bowl, partially translucent, diameter 18 cm, height 12 cm.

marked:
Kosta
Mona Morales
49-047

I couldn't find anything similar online; is this a production piece or sort of a unikat? When was it made?
Does the fact that it is "signed" Mona Morales (withouth the "Schildt", and instead of the designer code) indicate something?
What does the number refer to?

Thanks for any help :)
Michael

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Kosta, pink bowl, Mona Morales-Schildt
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 04:47:39 PM »
I do not think signature on this is genuine - the dotted appearance(as created by a dremel) is not consistent with genuine Kosta signing

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Thank you, that is an interesting idea, i would have never thought of that.
I bought the bowl for a few Euros in a charity shop some years ago, so I usually don't expect to find "fake" marks there.

I would still think that it is a genuine piece; while googling for Morales' work for Kosta I found so many different styles of marks made with different tools, that the mark on this one doesn't seem totally out of place (some links at the bottom of this post).

Here is a mark on a Ann Wärff (Wolff) bowl which should date from appr. the same period, which (to me) looks quite similarly "dotted" -- and in addition has the same positioning along the margin of the pontil mark:
https://www.bukowskis.com/sv/lots/605671-skal-glas-unik-ann-warff-kosta

Another thing I noticed in my searches is that almost any designer for Kosta during the 1970s/80s seems to have designed similarly shaped bowls (high and rounded, with applied base).
Also, the base finish with the central circular polished pontil mark is perfectly consistent; so is the overall quality.

I have marks on some Scandinavian glass pieces in my collection (Riihmäki, Iittala) which look like the work of a child with a chisel, so this mark seems rather professional in my eyes.

But you never know... Which would lead to the question -- who else could have made / designed it then?

Michael

https://www.haresfur.co.uk/upload/images/shopprod/10137/mona-morales-schildt-unique-bowl-kosta-sweden-1960s_10137_pic5_size4.jpg
https://www.catawiki.com/de/l/37937839-kosta-mund-geblasen-glasschale-mona-morales-glas
https://www.incollect.com/listings/decorative-arts/tablewares/mona-morales-schildt-mona-morales-schildt-golden-glass-bowl-kosta-sweden-scandinavian-modern-531313
https://www.vinterior.co/home-decor/kitchenware/bowls/crystal-glass-bowl-by-mona-morales-schildt-for-kosta-1950s

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 12:30:13 PM »
Apparently she stopped using Schildt after her divorce in 1964. I would guess the signature was added by one of the workers in the workshop.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 04:44:55 PM »
None of the examples you have given are signed with the same tool as yours. I have seen many fake signatures purporting to be Kosta that can be very convincing to the untrained eye and have fooled big auction houses and other online retailers including Sweden's version of eBay. As a collector if I saw this offered for sale my doubts are strong enough that I would pass it by.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
... if I saw this offered for sale my doubts are strong enough that I would pass it by.
That is perfectly understandable; still I guess you would have probably bought it if you found it in a charity shop for 6 Euros ;)

I see no difference in the tool used, comparing the mark on the Ann Wärff bowl I linked to above, with mine. Most of the other pieces I found on the net are marked with a different tool, I agree. But still very inconsistent.

And I am really not expecting a "fake" Mona Morales piece to turn up in a charity shop in Austria.
The shape and the base finish would perhaps lead me towards Kosta even if it was unsigned. (Not to this designer, I admit :) )

Apparently she stopped using Schildt after her divorce in 1964.
I thought the same -- not using the name "Schildt" in the mark might point towards production between 1964 and 1971 (assuming that we have a genuine piece here).

Thanks,
Michael

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 04:43:47 PM »
With regard to the use of the name Schildt. I have several pieces that were produced in the 70's marked M. Schildt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand