No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium/Cadmium Bead Necklace  (Read 493 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Uranium/Cadmium Bead Necklace
« on: September 29, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
A bit unusual this necklace is made up of both uranium and cadmium beads. The beads are probably Bohemian and with the screw- together clasp, late Victorian. The string appears to be nylon, so it's been re-strung.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Uranium/Cadmium Bead Necklace
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »
I suspect the spacer beads are new - they've been put in instead of the knotted strings that these lovely beads ought to be on.
I have found in costume jewellery brooches with uranium cabochons that some can be uranium and some not - and it's not regular. The mix of uranium and cadmium sorts wouldn't be something that worried me.
They are properly graduated, indicating age and the better quality of the time. More recently, beads have just been made in three sizes to provide a vague illusion of graduation.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:11:07 AM »
Thanks Sue, I don't know a lot about bead necklaces. I think most of the spacer beads have some age because they do have a bright pink glow, although some don't, I don't think Cadmium has been used for some time. Apparently Cadmium glass glows yellow under UV, the addition of Selenium that makes it glow salmon pink.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:31:00 AM »
The beads are all old, but likely no older than 1930s, but probably from two or even three sets and assembled relatively recently. The costume jewellery with mixed stones Sue is talking about tend to be 1950s ish when such things were fashionable and when I suspect they were using up old uranium stones.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
I'm a bit of a magpie with costume jewellery and started collecting foiled beads a long time ago. Mainly to wear, not really as a collection. Which is just as well - the origins of beads are almost impossible to track down, there is very little knowledge about them at all - and many were made in cottage style industries -  made using lampwork.
These ones are cut, but again, there is very little known about origins.
As these have been restrung, it is perfectly possible the spacer beads came from something else old. Charity shops do sell bundles of old broken strings of things for crafty folk. (or they used to!)
It was Andy McConnell and Judith Miller told me the above, when I took all my beads to the AR.
They do have decorative value, and they are popular. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »
That's gorgeous.  I'm very fond of old beads as well :)  Vintage Czech jewellery much superior to anything that has been made in recent times and beautifully designed.
m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 05:31:03 PM »
Thanks m, I also have this one, strung on brass fittings, with a solitary uranium bead

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 05:35:28 PM »
Well if they're in good condition and nicely presented with clear photographs they do usually get a decent price on ebay if they're a pretty colour.  Those are both lovely colours I think.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand