No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Pressed glass lens cut tumblers possibly "T Gammon" Birmingham?  (Read 458 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Found a group of old heavy pressed glass tumblers or beakers i looked in my books
and saw a glass which was similar but had three rows of lens rather than four like on
these, They are a nice ergonomic glass and really useful for today. 10 cm tall roughly.
some small nibbles on this type of glass would that be very detrimental ? Any ideas.
Thanks folks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Victorian Pressed glass lens cut tumblers possibly "T Gammon" Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »
Hi, nice looking tumbler, the base looks more interesting than usual, I have one that I use with three rows but a boring base. I tend to think you expect minor nibbles on this sort of thing, it adds to the history in my view.

Was it Hajdamach that made the link with Gammon? This topic https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56899.msg322491.html#msg322491  discusses a tumbler with a similar base but with two rows, it looks like the conclusion there was Percival Vickers.

Having said that, reading this thread: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64402.0.html made me realise how difficult it is to positively identify this sort of thing.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »
Very nice tumbler, it has the look of the 1850s. Without a mark I wouldn't place a maker's name on it. Perhaps slightly more likely to come from the Midlands than elsewhere in that time period.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:00 AM »
 :)
Thanks for your replies it was Hajdamachs book page 335 very similar looking tumbler with slightly different pattern
of course far from conclusive it would appear but interesting all the same. These are a good quality glass very heavy.
Thanks very much for having a go at dating them too always thought of them as 20th century not 19th makes them
even better in my opinion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand