No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tankard - A Present From Blackpool  (Read 520 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Tankard - A Present From Blackpool
« on: December 23, 2022, 10:23:35 AM »
Has anyone seen something like this before? It comes from a collector in the northwest.

In some ways it looks like a Dartington tankard but in other respects it appears to be Victorian. It has some age, and a density value typical of c1880 for the region, yet I see no sign of this general shape in 19th century catalogues.

So far as I know, a one off.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Tankard - A Present From Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
Could it be continental? A long shot but there are similar ones in the Stolzle catalogue. I think some souvenir pieces were also made in Belgium and France.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Stoelzle-1878.179+B6YmFja1BJRD0xNzkmcHJvZHVjdElEPTc1NDkmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MTc5JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 01:39:23 PM »
A moulded souvenir piece from Blackpool is more likely to be English IMO, considering the cost of moulds. If it was enamelled or engraved that might be different

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:08:37 PM »
With a moulded souvenir glass like this, wouldn’t they make a mould of the main item but with an interchangeable piece for the shield? So they could use the same expensive main mould but then make a relatively inexpensive shield insert for Blackpool….and another one for Bognor Regis and wherever.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 12:07:00 AM »
The shields on the Inwald souvenir glasses in this pressglas korrespondenz are said to be interchangeable (see the second half of the red text on page 2):

https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2015-1w-kuban-inwald-becher-sisi-1898.pdf

There is also a picture of a catalogue page of souvenir type glasses and two have “zum anderken” in the shield - translates as “for souvenirs”, maybe that means you could ask for your own text.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand