No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: heavy glass vase - attributed to Riihimaki but I'm not so sure, Any ideas?  (Read 548 times)

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Heavy at 1.6 kg. Have seen one on the net attributed to Riihimaki but I can't find another. The top has a perfect round hole but the rim around the hole is rather wide and the hole of course is small. Height is 8 inches. Can anyone ID this vase please? As always, any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Have a look at Riihimaki Tamara Aladin 1361 vase on google images.
For some reason there were a few vases that carried an acid etched mark and engraved serial numbers.
Unfortunately i dont know if they all were signed.
Hope this is of some help.
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
Hi Tim, thank you for your contribution. I've had a look at 1361 and whilst the shape is a match, the top and hole is not right. Now, here's the bit that has thrown me. I was in a local charity shop today, and there on the table, out the back, was a purple vase. Same shape and with an identical top/rim/hole. On the base was a sticker...Marks and Spencer! A modern sticker. So, the vase was retailed thru M&S but wasn't made by them as M&S don't make glass vases. I'm wondering if it hails from China, but from a factory producing good quality ware. Feeling a little deflated!!!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Or Poland. A lot of M&S glass came from Poland

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
Well, I've seen another one, this time in blue. M&S sticker on the base...Made in China. The sad thing is that they were £10. Brand new and from M&S. Good quality and screaming top Scandinavian makers. I've no doubt that there are a few dealers at fairs with one stating that it's Swedish, Finnish, Danish etc. Indeed, there are a few on eBay listed as Murano, Stromberg, Riihimaki etc. I also found a rather interesting article on the net. Putting in Marks and Spencer bullet Ice vase, then clocking on images. There is a pic of some of these, different colours, in a row. It is from some collectors group and the article refers to these vases being misdescribed. Quite a god read. Thanks all for the input.

Offline Ysala

• Members
    • Scandinavian Glass
    • Germany
Just a small addition to the Riihimäki vases:

I have three 1361 vases in two different sizes and colors: 215mm (8.5 inches) and 160mm (6.3 inches) in hight
The size is a bit off but the weight of one of the bigger ones is very similar to yours: 1.676kg (the other is a bit lighter with 1.485kg)
But all three of them are signed with the number 1361 and show the round acid etched mark (if there is interest I can post some pictures tomorrow but I guess it's a well known mark and model ;) )

The shape of yours is very similar but the red color somehow looks "wrong" to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand