No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fused sphere surface decoration query.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Fused sphere surface decoration query.
« on: March 20, 2023, 05:43:34 PM »
In silversmithing, there is a technique called Granulation where small silver spheres are fused to a substrate like this: https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots/Lois-Hill-Sterling-Silver-Granulation-Motif-Earrings-for-Non-Pierced-Ears/itmg712685-loi_hill_silver-28.8.20-ebth

Does anyone know anything about a similar process used in antique glass as a surface decoration (but not moulding for a similar effect) and what it’s called or who might have used it - possibly France or Bohemia?

There is this for modern “fused glass”. This sort of thing but thinking of something used on 19th century vessels to decorate panels.
https://www.daedalianglassstudios.com/product/fused-glass-spheres/

Thanks
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Fused sphere surface decoration query.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »
Sounds like coralene.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 07:52:56 PM »
Thanks. I was looking at some of that the other day and should have remembered. That does look like the silver granulation technique.

I wonder, does the term Coraline apply to larger grades too? I was looking for something with a ball diameter of around 4 to 6mm, infilling a geometric panel. Coraline perfectly matches what I described but should have been more specific on size.

I’ll have a search but suspect I’ll just get the small grade stuff.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 10:21:50 PM »
jewelled?  beaded?

Are they red?

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 04:02:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I thought it might be a known technique with a recognised name, I’ve not seen it before, I’ll have another look.

Not red, it’s on an entirely white opaline vase, also with some gilding. Reading some of your posts on opaline I think it is French as the opaline looks grainy and it has a nice polished pontil. The area with stuck on balls looks a bit like frog spawn floating at the surface of a pond (but white).

I was trying to investigate myself first for fun :) but not getting far so will probably post some photos soon, see if anyone recognises it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »
is it an old fashioned vase shape? Not sure I can recall any French makers who may have used a technique like this but it's difficult guessing  ;D  I'd have thought more Schachtenbach or Josephinenhutte maybe if it is an old fashioned type shape. 

If it's a more contemporary shape then a different chemical composition may have been used to create the white opaline.  It might cause it to look more grainy. There's also the thought that crizzling can cause a bit of a grainy look iirc  :-X

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 05:46:51 PM »
Yes, not easy guessing without photo but wanted to have a go before being handed the whole answer ;D

I was thinking older, sometime 2nd half of 19th century. The shape is Thistle like, or like a Médicis vase without the stem.

I know what you mean about the crizzling as I had some and check for that now. I was surprised that the crizzling was quite subtle and it was hard to see what was actually going on.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 03:18:50 PM »
Here is the subject of my query, I’ve not found anything like the ball decoration yet.  I looked at Schachtenbach and Josephinenhutte thanks, and could see it being Schachtenbach. Or maybe French?

Shame the gilding has worn but it’s natural to hold it where the gilding is applied over the ribs, so not surprising.

It is mould blown, then the balls have been stuck on between the ribs. I struggled to capture the fine grainy look of the opaline. Seven inches tall and feels heavy.

Anyone seen similar applied decoration before? Thanks.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 03:26:45 PM »
That's lovely.  Beautifully finished base large pontil mark?
Not seen anything like it that I can recall but think the bubbles are part of the mold and it was blown into a mold with that design.  Feels French :)  Maybe Baccarat?  They made some white opaline pieces in a what is referred to as a pineapple mold.  Had a similar feel so they may be worth a look?

The straight contemporary looking foot/stand reminds me of some Saint-Louis pieces as well.  I think it's French.

edited to add - none of the Baccarat pieces I could see have this straight side foot though. mmm.    Found this yellow piece which has a straight sided foot:
https://www.proantic.com/en/1086209-rare-bottle-in-yellow-opaline-baccarat-pineapple-model-xixth-napoleon-iii-period.html#

How big is it by the way?

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 03:47:46 PM »
Looks moulded to me also. Can you feel faint indents on the inside? I think I would go for French too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand