No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique perfume holders from Murano ??  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Andreadb

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
Antique perfume holders from Murano ??
« on: March 27, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Hello All,
I have this small collection of what I have interpreted as perfume/salts holders, all made of glass: I have also heard different opinions stating that these are for snuff tobacco. Considering the presence of murrine, avventurina and the other typically Venetian techniques, I am very inclined to believe them to be made in Murano.
They are quite small: the biggest is approx 11 cm tall.
However, I'd like help to answer some questions:
- What are they? For perfume, tobacco or what?
- What is their age? They seem quite old to me, probably XIX century?
I have done some research, but I have not found any similar item on the net; can somebody give me better information than my guesswork?
Thank you !!
Andrea

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Antique perfume holders from Murano ??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:36:19 AM »
I think they are for snuff as the stoppers do not look secure enough to hold liquid and they look like the stoppers on other snuff bottles. I cannot find anything like them but I agree they are most likely from Murano but possibly mid 20th century. The curl on the end reminds me of the "snuff mulls" made from horns.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Andreadb

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
Thank you NevB,
You are definitely right in observing that the caps are not suitable for liquids, I had not thought about that!! So snuff boxes they quite certainly are.
But on what are you basing your dating at mid 20th century? I had a feeling they are older considering the relatively "rough" quality of manufacture.
Regards
Andrea

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 12:35:22 PM »
It was just a guess from the patterns on them that they are later, it is difficult to tell without handling them. I'm not an expert on Murano.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand