No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for identification please  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Spitfireman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Looking for identification please
« on: March 31, 2023, 02:26:49 PM »
Hi
I recently bought this very unusual item from an antiques collectors fair recently and I’m looking if anyone could identify them please. Each figure is solid iridescent glass they stand 27cm tall they seen to have been permanent fixed into the heavy display stand but unfortunately mauve figure has worked it way loose. I have shown these to a few people I know that work in the leisure hotelier and restaurant industry and they have not come a crossed anything like this before I have also looked into drink stirrers but have been informed that the are to heavy and large. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Looking for identification please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 04:18:42 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
I've not seen anything like these before, but could they be temporary stoppers for a wine bottle after the cork has been taken out?
They seem to have bottom parts that would fit varying sizes of apperture. Not make a seal, but at least help keep the remaining wine for a day or so if the entire bottle was not drunk at once?
I can't see too much detail in your photo, so I can't really make out what your figures are.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Spitfireman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 05:08:29 PM »
Hi
Many thanks for your reply, sorry if photograph doesn’t given much detail. The wine bottle stoppers was what the seller told me but having tried  the figure in bottles of a number of sizes I found they do not  fit in a bottle very well or cause a seal, I was thinking champagne stoppers but again the figure doesn’t cover the top of the bottle the figures are also very top heavy. Description, the detail on all three is quite impressive the woman figure is wearing a jacket bow tie and has moulded large buttons. The centre mauve figure as with the figure on right are men both wearing jackets and tie. I cannot make out what all three are holding possibilities Books, menu’s, clipboards.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 05:37:16 PM »
I wasn't thinking about them making a proper seal, just being a decorative cover. A couple of the bottom "pegs" look graduated, which would have remdered them suitable for small appertures. I have not had any personal experience with wine for over 30 years, but I do know that mostly come with screw tops and plastic stoppers, now.

Are the figures made using a mould? What sort of quality are they?
I think the display stand, beautifully made as it is, is a later addition and not neccessarily how they are supposed to be.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand