No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Glass Picture Frame - ID Request  (Read 500 times)

Offline logboy

• Members
Green Glass Picture Frame - ID Request
« on: April 08, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
hard to tell if this is mid century gem or supermarket special.

all edges are bevelled, and it's very heavy at 1.97kg, but there are no metal fixtures i'd associate with absolute quality.

the elements are either stuck together with molten glass or ... glue; can't tell. the entire thing is glass beyond this.

i picked it up cheap because i think of fontana arte with this colour glass (verde nilo?), and couldn't find comparables at the time (still can't), and it might be something.

did have a label on the rear at one time (small, horizontal + rectangular) that looks different to modern price labels and more like a makers one as it's less obvious.

one extremely small chip to one corner i've spotted. have kept the receipt ;)

dimensions >

largest back piece 24 x 19.5cm
picture holder 17.5 x 13.5cm
rest / rear 6 x 9cm

weight 1.97kg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Green Glass Picture Frame - ID Request
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 08:17:35 AM »
Hi, I think it’s new. The design looks very like these: https://www.sixtrees.com/products/moda-glass-picture-frame
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 08:36:05 AM »
Could have been made almost anywhere at any time since the 1950s because it's made of plate glass, i.e., window type glass (which often appears this colour when quite thick). It's probably quite new though

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
They wouldn’t have had a suitable glue in the 1950s.

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »
Hi, I think it’s new. The design looks very like these: https://www.sixtrees.com/products/moda-glass-picture-frame

thanks. agreed. looks the same / similar. it's the heft of the one i have that makes me think it's older. maybe not 50s. perhaps stretch the mid-century definition to 70s. can't tell for certain it's glue, pretty much all is under glass and not sticking out. can't get a decent touch on it.

wondering if someone that's made quality adjusted their specs. newer fontana arte frame moved to almost entirely glass afaik. not a solid comparison of the range and models around, as with most stuff. design is clean enough that it could be from any period.

but ... it's that weight again. not cost effective to ship it around, or wouldn't get approval because of that, i am guessing.

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 11:54:02 AM »
Could have been made almost anywhere at any time since the 1950s because it's made of plate glass, i.e., window type glass (which often appears this colour when quite thick). It's probably quite new though

yes it's is what i remember as window type glass. don't see it on new stuff, myself. not that it isn't used. could equally be something trying to ape a classic or expensive style, as a lot of newer glass seems to be.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 06:54:37 PM »
It looks like the stand on yours has been bevelled, then stuck on. The adhesive layer actually between the bits of glass looks very thin, sure it must be glue. My feeling was they only started using glue like this relatively recently, like to stick on the bases of small glass sculptural pieces, but I don’t know when for sure.

The picture frame in my link says it is 12mm thick (almost half inch) so that must be quite heavy too.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 07:46:18 AM »
I wasn't saying this was made in the 1950s; just that this sort of window glass has been readily available since then, as have cyanoacrylate glues that would stick glass.... Plate glass comes in whatever thickness you need. I still think this is relatively new and probably made in China where shipping weighty things doesn't seem to be an issue. It's also quite a modern style, not a 1970s one IMO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand