No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Rumer? Wheel Engraver ID  (Read 513 times)

Offline wiggy131

• Members
Glass Rumer? Wheel Engraver ID
« on: April 17, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
Anyone give me a help with an ID on this talented wheel engraver and who may of made this?
Is this called a Rumer Glass? Number 5/77 Surname looks to be Lonie
Thanks Vickie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassamore

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • antique/vintage glass
    • Kent, England, United Kindom
Re: Glass Rumer? Wheel Engraver ID
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 06:25:47 PM »
Hi Vickie

Not sure about your beautiful glass but I will see if I can find a maker in my searches.

Just in case you did not know about the motto and the family shield here is some information.

Where did our motto come from? In 1424 King James I of Scotland commanded Sir John Colquhoun, the Laird of Luss, Loch Lomond, to seize possession of the formidable and well-fortified Dumbarton Castle from the Earl of Lennox, who had become too powerful for the King’s comfort. Sir John replied to the King’s command in French (the accepted universal language of the time) “Si Je Puis – I will if I can”. He carefully laid his plans. The Highland chieftain gathered a group of his men and, under cover of darkness, hid them in the woods outside the castle’s gates. When morning came he set loose nearby a large stag which he had previously captured, chased by hunting dogs. The starving garrison in the castle saw the hunt and, unsuspecting, opened the gates to join in. The Chief’s clansmen then stole into the castle, successfully securing it and returning it to the King, without a drop of blood being spilled on either side.

In gratitude, the king bestowed on the Chief of Colquhoun a coat of arms with a crest showing a stag’s head and two deer-hounds as supporters bearing the motto “Si Je Puis”.

The name of Colquhoun is taken from an area of land around Kilpatrick which is on the north side of the River Clyde, to the west of Glasgow. These lands were granted to Humphrey of Kilpatrick by Malcolm, Earl of Lennox, in the time of Alexander II. In the 14th century, Sir Robert Kilpatrick married the Fair Maid of Luss, daughter of the Laird of Luss, and it is since then the chief of the Colquhouns has been known as Colquhoun of Colquhoun and Luss.

With best regards
Gary
Glass Amore

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:18:49 AM »
I think it might be F. W. Lonie and may have been put on by the owner to mark his property. The glass itself does look like a mid to late Victorian rummer but it's difficult to tell. If you could add some photos, particularly of the underside of the foot, it might help.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline wiggy131

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 04:14:45 PM »
Wow, thanks so much Gary for all that information on the glass tumbler. That was so kind of you to do the research on the clan for me. What interesting history,
that will come in very handy when I sell the glass.
Hopefully we will also find out the maker. I see Lonie is a Dundee surname, so possibly someone from that area???

I once saw them using the wheel at the Penicuik crystal factory and it was fascinating watching there skill in creating all the patterns. Its a shame the place has gone now.

Nev, on your reply, It says a limited edition number, so I'm sure its the wheel engravers name.
But Thanks for your reply,
Kind Regards
Vickie

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
Sorry but I can't see where it says it's a limited edition or the number 5/77.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline wiggy131

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 03:07:09 PM »

Here you are, I forgot to post that one!!
Ooops

Offline glassamore

• Members
    • antique/vintage glass
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »
For what it is worth, I agree with NevB the etched name is F.W. Lonie. The family name originates from Scotland but also Ireland.
I hope you find your answer.
With best regards
Gary
Glass Amore

Offline glassamore

• Members
    • antique/vintage glass
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 03:48:38 PM »
Also thinking out loud - The 5/77 seems odd to me as a limited edition. Why would they make only 77 glasses? It could of been the etcher's mark or pattern number??? All guess work on my part but it may prompt someone to give a more educated answer.
With best regards
Gary
Glass Amore

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 06:07:53 PM »
The 5/77 mark, could possibly indicate the fifth month (May) of the year 1977.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 06:12:26 PM »
Collins Crystal (from 1987) has what looks like sand blasted etched designs that are basically the same (except for being etched rather than engraved). The blurb on Collins Crystal says the designs were based on original diamond point engravings by Brendan Collins.

Collins Crystal blurb: https://clan.com/clan-crest-wine-glasses-set-of-4

Collins Crystal etched Colquhoun design: https://heritageofscotland.com/products/collins-crystal-clan-shot-glass-colquhoun
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand