No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 20s-30s enamelled & etched smoke-green table lamp w/ cut base. Czech? Austrian?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Bought this recently from Germany, but the threads on the lighting parts lead me to believe this isn't German in origin. One of the joys of old German lighting is that no matter how old the parts are, they'll almost always work with new metric parts - this lamp, however, was a pain in the backside to bring back into use.

I can't find anything particularly similar, but it's very well made and really quite nice.

Any help gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is Czechoslovakian lighting likely to be similar to German in terms of ease of repair? Sorry I've not a clue about the spec on these things, but just wondering if that might be an option.  Gorgeous star cut base.  If hand done that could indicate perhaps Czechoslovakian?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It sort of brings to mind Karl Palda designs for some reason but nothing in Truitt's Bohemian glass. Think that's just because of the 1930s vibe of it to be honest.
I can't remember what the name of the meandering pattern is but there has been quite a long discussion on the board about it and potential makers from the 19th century.  Harrach did this pattern on various items quite early on.  In Das Bohmische Glas Band III on page 27 it shows a vase with a gold version of this pattern identified as Neuwelt 1855-1865.  They call it 'wurmlinien' just in case that helps your searches.  Oh it's called Vermicular just remembered!
Think the name of the pattern begins with an r if I recall correctly ::)

The other thought is possibly from one of the Czechoslovakian glass schools designs?

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Sure I have seen this pattern before, it might have been on some drink ware, something like a lemonade set or cocktail glasses (backing up m's 30s vibe).

John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Thanks, both, for taking a look.

is Czechoslovakian lighting likely to be similar to German in terms of ease of repair?

I don't know - I've never actually had any Czech lighting before that needed new threaded parts, so I'm unsure about diameters and pitches. German is 10mm x 1.0mm, which is now the standard for modern European lighting, and this lamp was a little bit off an old British imperial 1/2" x 26tpi, which was part of the standard used for bicycles and lighting.

They call it 'wurmlinien' just in case that helps your searches.  Oh it's called Vermicular just remembered!

Thanks! It's always good to be armed with better search terms.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Not Ikora - that's all oxides and nitrates and other such glass-making magic, rather than an applied decoration.

I love Ikora lamps - I've got four of them dotted around the house.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand