No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Livio Seguso  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
Livio Seguso
« on: May 22, 2023, 02:57:44 AM »
I recently purchased a bird, attributed to Livio S, with the common engraved "signature" SEGUSO AV. Having read previous discussions about the origin of this signature, I am still unclear as to whom or what it represents. I understand that Livio left Salviati to form his own studio in 1968 but cannot find a reference to which company, if any, he sold product through. Does anyone have any information about SEGUSO AV?
Terry

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
Re: Livio Seguso
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »
May have found the answer to my own question.  Silvio Piattelli <info@piattelli.com> advises that LS opened his own company/factory as Seguso AV, in 1969. In 1990 he sold it to Bisazza, who continued to make the designs for a year or two then closed it down. Bisazza always used their own signature with the "snail acid stamp". Hence anything with the "SEGUSO AV" inscription would have been made between 1969 and 1990. The other interesting thought from Silvio was that he believes LS only signed pieces with his signature if he made them himself; hence the SEGUSA AV signature on pieces from this period, where Elio Raffaelli and Roberto Camozzo were the maestros (and stayed on with Bisazza until closure) indicates that he did not make them but just designed them.
Terry

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 01:48:25 AM »
Silvio corrected me; ER and RC did not continue on with Bisazza but left at this time, to form their own company ARS MURANO.
Terry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »
Thank you for adding this information re the various companies, owners and maestros and dates. 
It could be very helpful for future reference so much appreciated.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand