No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery frosted pressed glass dogs  (Read 1765 times)

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Mystery frosted pressed glass dogs
« on: May 30, 2023, 05:49:43 PM »
Hello and hope all are keeping well
I picked these 2 up in a hurry at a boot sale and assumed they were a pair , possibly knife rests, but now realise they are in different poses.
They are very well made and im having doubts about my first assumption that they were Chinese. Cant figure out what is depicted under the dogs bodies (cobble stones ?) They are 3" long and between 2.5" & 3" tall.  Ive done my usual research but come up empty handed, any thoughts anyone?
Thanks in anticipation

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Mystery frosted pressed glass dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 07:34:31 PM »
I can see what you mean about having thoughts of Chinese origin,a definite nod of the head towards Sancai glazed ware ,..the line decoration looks a bit Chinese aswell .

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 07:51:04 PM »
Thanks for your comments and I agree about the Sancai glaze look. Were it not for the Chinese influence they scream French. Heavy, well cast and lovely frosted finish... still its early days and someone may just say ....ohh yes I know about these ...LOL

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 04:37:37 AM »
If they are sitting on money or jewels they maybe something to do with Feng Shui .

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 04:48:42 AM »
Pics are too small to see the details, but these are certainly Chinese in origin. Liuli technique (pate-de-cristal), popular from around the 90s onward, after Liuligongfang revived the technique in the late 80s in Taiwan, though mainland production seems to have peaked in the 2000s to 2010s. These were possibly made to celebrate the year of the Dog -- Chinese Zodiac animals are a popular motif in liu-li. If so, this would mean they were likely made for 2006 or 2018 Spring Festival. Are there any characters or other marks on them?

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 06:09:41 AM »
Many thanks for your input Mosquito, nice to know that my initial thoughts of them being oriental were correct.
Ive been over & over them but can find no markings at all.
Based on what you said I have now found something very similar, the face of the dog is virtually identical to this one which was made for Cathay Bank as a paperweight for the Year of the Dog (no date given) .. it sits on money & jewels according to the description. The one I have has these 'jewel' shapes under its body, they look like little hats with a bobble on top.
Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand