No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Butter dish, cover and stand c.1800-1820?  (Read 981 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Butter dish, cover and stand c.1800-1820?
« on: June 25, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
  Came across this in an antique mall while visiting family in another state for graduation ceremonies. Seemed to be the oldest glass there. Some small chips and evidence of one tooth on the crenellated rim of the bowl ground and polished down [to rid of unsightly large chip assumed]. Definite grey cast to the lead glass, especially the bowl and stand, not so much the lid. Lid possibly made from different batch?Still happy to pay $130.00 US for an example.
  Although This form occurs in American cut glass c.1810-1840 or so, never oval always round and very scarce.
Stand: 8 3/4 in. long point to point. Star cut base with rebate/rabbet along edge.
Bowl:  6 1/2 in. long. Oval shape polished pontil.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Butter dish, cover and stand c.1800-1820?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:00:07 PM »
Love that - it's gorgeous.  What a find.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 05:33:25 PM »
  Thanks for the positive feedback. If not for the cut down tooth I could not afford it most likely. The wine glasses bought at a much better price point during my trip. $8.00 and $10.00

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 06:16:47 PM »
The glasses are beautiful too but that butter is something special.  Someone posted a bowl on a Dolphin stand a while ago from a similar era I think.  The thing about the larger items is that they are unusual to come across.  There are probably 'family' heirloom sets being sold for vast prices in high end antique places but  generally it's unlikely you find a set like that.  I think that's the attraction.  I also like that heavy, and what I think of as a masculine, cut and design.  It shrieks quality.  And where is that kind of cutting, huge number of man hours and eye for perfection, ever going to be seen again?  So wonderful.

Do you not think it's American? 

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 07:01:32 PM »
  Pretty sure it is English, Possibly Irish. Truly almost every square cm is cut. Every American example I have seen not quite as sophisticated. Always round.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »
Finger bowl Perrin Geddes 1807 - it reminds me of this kind of thing.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/68278/set-of-verrieres

Not sure whether the style of cutting - the draped ribbon effect cut I mean, might indicate a decade/era would it?
I don't know anything about this kind of glass but love it.

These bowls are oval in shape - the one to the bottom left looks to have a 16 point star cut base but not sure that indicates anything:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/trevanion-and-dean/catalogue-id-trevan10088/lot-0ef86afc-db9c-4e5f-8695-b0210106ea02

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 07:02:07 PM »
  Surely the fancy cut rims were an added expense and seems to correlate to top notch cutting of the period. As to the cut ribbons/swags, I do associate them to the regency era, of course they probably never really went out of style. A very similar example to mine is shown in "MILLERS GLASS" a buyers guide. To quote the book: " An oval cut-glass butter dish, cover and stand, all cut with bands of diamonds and prisms, with crenelated rims and ball finial c.1800". Although the cutting a bit different, the basic shape is the same. The only difference besides the cutting, is the fancy rim on the stand in the book example is straight like the bowl rim, where as my example flares outward. Curiously the same book shows a oval cut dish c.1810 very much like the examples in your last link. A note to this entry states "these dishes often had a rebate at the foot, as they came from ornate table centerpieces".

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
  The draped ribbon /diamond motif in another form. Most likely from the same period and possibly the same country of origin.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 06:45:30 PM »
That's a good shape.  Is it small wine glass size or sherry size type thing? These are completely outside my knowledge base but I can appreciate the skill that's gone into making them.  They'll never be made again.

Is the notched stem on the second goblet you showed something common on English or Irish glass? 
m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 08:30:55 PM »
I think the cut rim style is called “van dyke” if you google Irish van dyke cut glass you might come up with more examples.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand