No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with proper care for 22K Gold Overlay Imperial Glasses  (Read 2335 times)

Offline kholmes8

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Help with proper care for 22K Gold Overlay Imperial Glasses
« on: August 01, 2023, 06:06:37 PM »
Hi there! I have a large set of 22K Gold Overlay Imperial Glass Shoji Highball/Tall and Lowball Barware Glasses from Imperial Glass Co.  These are from the 60's and have the IG marking on the bottom. I've had them just for show on my shelf since I bought them from an estate sale but recently I wanted to drink out of one on a special occasion. I went to hand wash it and even though I was being gentle, some of the gold started to come off as I cleaned it! Obviously super disappointing and I don't want to cause more damage so I dried it off as gentle as I could and haven't used one of the glasses since. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on ways to re-seal the glassware or some care instructions so that the glasses can be used without the gold turning to glitter and flaking off. Open to any suggestion!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help with proper care for 22K Gold Overlay Imperial Glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 07:23:24 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :)
I don't think I can help you much, but can you tell us what you found underneath the bits where the gold flaked off?
Is there a kind of raised line of yellow or white stuff that the gold had been attached to?
Knowing what you found the gold came off from, might help others to help you.
It would help us to work out how it was put on in the first place.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help with proper care for 22K Gold Overlay Imperial Glasses
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 09:09:24 AM »
That the gold is flaking off suggests it wasn't properly fired on, as gold usually wears away. I doubt there is much you can do apart from not using them and only gentle dusting, no washing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand