No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a VSL vase ? ID please  (Read 470 times)

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
    • https://www.etsy.com/shop/MidcenturyKCDesign
Is this a VSL vase ? ID please
« on: August 07, 2023, 10:52:58 AM »
I have this vase for a long time but couldn’t get any ID for it. 
I think it is Belgian because it looks like the VSL Luxval Elysée vase.
The glass is a kind of soda glass (yellowish).  The height is 25cm width 16cm and the weight is 1878 grams.
The vase is quite heavy, it also has a Libochovice feel and touch.
I hope someone can help me, because I also have 3 lookalikes like this one.

Thanks   Kees

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
  • Bormioli, Fidenza Vetraria, Saivo, Covetro...
    • Glassware
    • Italy
Re: Is this a VSL vase ? ID please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:18:38 AM »
Hallo Kees, just detected your messages in my email.
Had some issues in last months.

Here attached the Trade catalog page from Borgonovo.
Probably a range of production from end of 60's to early 80's.
Dunno if the design was a genuine shape or a italian copy from another area or company.
The base without a B or Italy stamped can't help us to detect.

Gab

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 02:03:44 PM »
Thanks Gab,
Yes, that is the brochure with the 'Mexico' vase, it is exactly the same as my vase. The picture is quite small, but when I enlarge it I see the same star on the base.
I don't see any markings there, not even a small embossed B.  I also looked at all facets of the surface, but no.  You can see at the outer edge of the star, that the side surface shows a lot of shrinkage, the glass is very thick there. The glass is also yellowish !
Coincidentally, I also have the other vase the “Cleo”. It is embossed 'Made in Italy’ in the base edge, and it is made of clear glass ! 
You can see in the brochure ( ‘60s '80s) that there are 2 completely different styles, Art Deco and Modernist... but probably both in clear glass?  Could this vase be from their early fifties period ?
I have 3 more vases with the same pattern, but with slightly different proportions. 2 are made of yellowish glass and 1 is clear, they have concave bases without the star, all 3 are also unmarked.
I knew about Fidenza, but I was not aware that Borgonovo probably also bought or borrowed designs from other factories ?

Kees

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
    • Glassware
    • Italy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 09:01:17 AM »
Those were days of the "glass jungle".

I mean each company copied and  sold glassware considering that domestic markets were virtually closed by import/export before regulamentations (MEC).
In Italy, Borgonovo and Fidenza Vetraria were two (but not the only ones) to share the competition for pressed glass vases.
I don't know who copied from whom, certainly both took ideas from other companies in eastern markets or in the USA.

The yellowish glass certainly depends on the "poor" composition of the glass recipe which is not 100% stable.
The reason for some color changes depends on some materials used in the mixture.

Even today, some Chinese glass tends to turn yellow/green or brown when exposed to direct sunlight.
I had personally experimented with some glass companies with some samples for various projects. In a few years the clear glass became slightly colored.

Offline Officinaquack

• Members
    • Glassware
    • Italy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »
An update:

Checked: Fidenza has never had a vase with a similar design

The vases in the photos you sent look like those from Borgonovo.
While the other one in your ETSY, more conical and with a different base and transparent bottom without spokes, are both not from Borgonovo.
Are you sure they're made of glass? it looks more like crystal.

I found some on the web with a similar design.
Maybe French?

Offline keez

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 07:10:06 PM »
Thanks Gab very interesting.
The other vases (variants) are a bit straighter in shape but also slightly flared, the diamond pattern has shifted more to the bottom (height 21.8 cm). The two together also have a yellowish color, but the single vase is clear and slightly later. They have a flat polished base ring, concave in the middle, with a lot of scratch (fifties), the clear one has a little less scratch. The Mexico vase has a pressed bottom and no scratch. The vases are not made of crystal, perhaps a low content.

I don't know if the design has anything to do with each other, or who copied who in this case.
I do know that Italian copies are usually quite exact and that is not the case here
I did indeed see some French vases that looked similar, but generally made of crystal.

Gab ... so I assume that my 'Mexico' vase from the topic (with the star in the bottom) is the same as the one from the brochure?
Despite the missing bottom mark ??

Kees

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand