No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio or Experimental Glass Vase? - ID = Francesco Ferro e Figlio  (Read 1410 times)

Offline JOK

• Members
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this vase. There is a fair bit of wear on the bottom, so my thoughts would be late 19th or early 20th century. It is quite light weight, like Venetian glass, opalescent with surface applied oxide or metallic spots (not internal). The rim is folded and there appears to be incised but undecipherable markings to the rim.
So, I'm wondering if its an Arts and Crafts experimental piece, like Powell historically influenced glass, or maybe Venetian, Salviati  or something circa 1900.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Offline JOK

• Members
Re: Studio or Experimental Glass Vase?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 12:13:34 PM »
Size is about 15cm high.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:14:03 PM »
Try rubbing a pencil over thin paper on the rim, it may help decipher the inscription.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 06:16:18 PM »
Late 19thC Murano but as far as I remember not Salviati. I still have this one that was identified here on the board but it was a long time ago and I have forgotten the details. Will have another search when I get back later.

John

Offline JOK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 10:07:04 AM »
Ok thanks for that, I found the previous post and it set me on the right track. I'm fairly sure I've found it now:
So it's pretty likely it is Francesco Ferro e Figlio, circa 1880s/90s, Corinthian or Conito vase. The Met has one which they haven't attributed, but there is a fair bit of info and past auction records (Bonhams New York and Wright Auctions) with both the same shape and also the same decor on different shapes, all by Ferro e Figlio. Sometimes the decor is called Fruste although I'm not sure if thats the correct technique.
Hope that info helps

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »
Yes that is it well done! I could not find the information when I looked but a quick search online throws up several examples and the themes are obvious to see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand