No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique French ?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Antique French ?
« on: August 13, 2023, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi , i found this paperweight over the weekend , it has a fairly deep polished pontil and some nice canes.There’re a lot of air bubbles and one fairly central in the top of the crown ..I don’t think it’s been placed ?.My thoughts are it’s very much an end of day piece from one of the famous French makers maybe St Louis but I’m far from certain.Any thoughts on this one ,thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Antique French ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 08:17:36 PM »
I should have added it’s just under 7cm wd and feels fairly heavy in the hand .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 07:30:42 AM »
Not sure. Don't exclude New England Glass Company from your considerations.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 02:52:59 PM »
Umm, thanks Simon I see what you mean ..haven’t really looked at their paperweights 👍

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 06:34:45 PM »
Photo of the underneath ,…optimistic question ..could this be a ‘1’??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 08:43:42 AM »
Please don't use the nonsense term end of day. These were production items. Quality control was not to modern standards. The correct term is scramble for PWs. Looks like a scratch on the base to me. New England is less likely than Europe as you are in the UK

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 10:23:56 AM »
Not a scratch !,what are you looking at ?…I read somewhere some were made at the end of work and left through the back gate !?

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 12:40:00 PM »
Perhaps I should have been more clear ,the black canes top left have a black centre and on that there is a mark that looks like a 1 .Whilst looking up New England paperweights I noticed their date canes where the numeral 1 look similar with the dot at the top and bottom ….in no way am I stating it is a partial date cane!,I’m just thought I’d mention it …Who wouldn’t look for signs of a date cane ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 01:01:22 PM »
Not a scratch !,what are you looking at ?…I read somewhere some were made at the end of work and left through the back gate !?

I too was looking for a mark on the base and saw it as a scratch so thanks for clarifying what you meant.

I don't know about the comments on end of day leaving by the back door.  These paperweights are called scrambles as far as I know and contain lots of lovely canes and are production items from various factories. 
Likewise 19th century and early 20th century vases from Bohemia and France which have many coloured splotches on them are also production items specifically made in those colourways and shapes by the various factories.  Clichy, Ruckal, Welz, Kralik etc spring to mind. In the 'olden days' I saw these referred to as 'end of day' items here in the UK.  Now it is known they were by specific makers and the shapes can be assigned. 

You mentioned a deeply polished pontil.  I can't see a polished pontil mark on the pictures.  Is it a completely polished base slightly concave with a flat base ring around it?

The bluey green of the canes which contain green is interesting and pretty.  I don't see that bluey green very often (caveat -  my knowledge is seriously limited on paperweights).  Often the green I see is brighter, more grass green.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 01:27:46 PM »
Oh well my bad sorry again ,at least no one has died !.I could be wrong on all points and that’s a given ,😂…I’ve had a few antique french paperweights and The ground out pontil s are shallower than this one so I thought it may help people who know a lot more than me in identifying .Sorry if I’ve upset people ,I really don’t do it intentionally.

PS , I thought apprentices may practice after work using the waste from the weights made during the day and since this one seems to have more bubbles than usual ??..,but I may have got that wrong as well .!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand