No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fully labelled Bohemia Glass bowl - cannot identify! Skrdlovice?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
fully labelled Bohemia Glass bowl - cannot identify! Skrdlovice?
« on: September 27, 2023, 02:39:08 PM »
Have had this for years but not been able to identify it despite it being labelled  ::)

I have checked through Skrdlovice and also Chribska catalogues and everything I can find online but my instinct is that it's a 1950s Skrdlovice bowl.   (could be totally wrong of course)
The label is foil and I think was registered in the late 1950s.  The top label is yellow/gold and says Bohemia Glass.  The bottom label is also foil and has some modernist capital letters on it but I cannot for the life of me work out what they read. 

I had though it might be Jan Beranek originally but I don't think so now.  It could be fairly unusual because I've only found one other and that was in an amber brown colour.  That one said Jan Beranek on it but no reference to year or catalogue so I think may have been a wild guess.

The green colour in the top photo is very representative.  It's a curious green, an old green somehow.  A sort of leaf green if that means anything. 
Any help very much appreciated and thank you for reading.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: fully labelled Bohemia Glass bowl - cannot identify! Skrdlovice?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 03:18:10 PM »
with lots of messing around with lighting I think the silver label reads HANDMADE!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 04:51:06 PM »
Handmade label isn't helpful but someone might have seen it on something else I guess.
It has big round indents in either side of the foot front and back and despite the photographs it is all completely green cased in clear.  No trace of other colours at all I don't believe.

I remember also thinking Jan Broz might be a possible at one time but again cannot find anything to match up.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »
Thank you for looking Nev. Much appreciated.  The top view of the one second from top does look very similar and promising ... but then the side view of the bowl doesn't look the same  :-\   So annoying.  I suppose it might not be Skrdlovice and I am perhaps being swayed by my instincts.  So frustrating.

I forgot to put the size - it's 20cm long by 8cm high and has a flat polished base.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 09:00:57 PM »
When I say I've checked through the catalogues - I've checked what I can find online.  I don't have access to the Skrdlovice pattern books. If anyone does and is willing to look for me I'd be eternally grateful.  Obviously a big ask, but if willing, I think it dates to the 1950s.

Thank you in advance.

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 07:39:35 AM »
I don't think the catalogue drawings give an exact impression of the pieces they represent. The catalogues used to be freely available on this site but it is now subscription only, I just happened on the one I posted.

https://www.cs-sklo.cz/

"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 08:30:42 AM »
yes it is difficult to compare Nev.  However that one is also much larger than mine in the size given and even allowing for tolerance wouldn't fit I don't think.
I use that site all the time but haven't looked at getting the Skrdlovice catalogues as thought I'd find it at some point.  Many years later just the one in brown has come up - no pattern reference and stated as Jan Beranek and I'm not entirely sure that's correct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand