No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edwardian/Art Deco Etched Lemonade Jug And glasses/beakers  (Read 746 times)

Offline Steedy999

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • United Kingdom
Edwardian/Art Deco Etched Lemonade Jug And glasses/beakers
« on: October 12, 2023, 12:09:31 AM »
I've done a bit of research and I seem to find a lot of acid Etched? Glasses with floral patterns are common in the Edwardian period. Ive seen tfrom.the late Victorian and Georgian as well but these I assume are set deco late 20s 30s. Possibly later?

I like.ths stems with the double knop? if that's correct. Can anybody confirm that they are Edwardian and if so what makes them that rather than late Victorian.

Thanks for any input

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Edwardian/Art Deco Etched Lemonade Jug And glasses/beakers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 11:55:16 AM »
Your set is wheel engraved not acid etched. It's just that the cuts are left grey rather than polished. I also suspect your set could even be 1960s or later partly from the style but also because the glasses have a safety rim. This means they were machine made and the safety rim wasn't invented until the late 1940s. The bulges aren't knops (knobs) but I don't know what you would call them. I would use the set and enjoy it because I think it unlikely you'll find who made it. It's pretty and was possibly sold somewhere like Woolworths

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
There is a similar design tumbler (not the same) from Leerdam in the British museum, designed in 1923, produced until 1945. As they have it in the British museum presumably it was an innovative design for the period? It was probably then copied by other factories. So the 1920s looks like the earliest date for the style but don’t know who made yours. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_2012-8021-88-a-b

The engraving actually looks like Intaglio, a process between cutting and engraving, but most people would probably call it engraved. https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68028.0.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 07:15:20 PM »
Intaglio is not a process; it's a description. It describes a design incised or cut into a material; it's basically the opposite of cameo where the design protrudes from the material.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 07:50:17 PM »
“Intaglio” is also a process and is the name that John Northwood gave to the technique after he invented it. If you have a look from reply 7 on the link I gave. I have had the discussion before that it is a shame they didn’t choose a different name. There is also a section on it in Hajdamach British Glass 1800-1914 page 289.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand