No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio art glass - ID = Alum Bay Glass, Isle of Wight  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Keith M

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Studio art glass - ID = Alum Bay Glass, Isle of Wight
« on: October 16, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
Hi all,
Picked up this studio glass piece recently at a car boot on the Isle of Wight. I guess it would be an art glass hot worked sculpture. The lady who sold it told me it was part of a collection made by her husband, but couldn't remember who the maker was or how long ago he purchased it. Would seem likely it came from one of the island's studio's although by no means a certainty. Anyone have any idea who made such pieces and also when?
Haven't got many art glass reference books and online searches have also not proved very helpful so far although I did come across mention of "knot" sculptures.
It's approx 21cm tall with blue, purple and gold streaks, with hints of other colours. It's iridescent in places and stands on a clear circular glass stand. There's no ID marks that I can see so perhaps came originally with a sticker. Scratching to the base suggests at least some age on the piece.
Any help would be appreciated,
Keith M

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: Studio art glass ID
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 01:39:54 PM »
Alum Bay Glass, on the Isle of Wight. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 02:39:53 PM »
Agreed.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Keith M

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 10:04:11 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Have looked at Alum Bay Glass and found a couple of their pieces online with clear glass circular bases. The style is not to dissimilar although colour way is different.
You could well be right
Thanks again,
Keith M

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Studio art glass - ID = Alum Bay Glass, Isle of Wight
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »
Alum Bay glass have been in business since 1972, this was undoubtedly made there. This design was one of their early staples, quick and simple to produce making it suitable for the tourist trade they relied on at the time.

John

Offline Keith M

• Members
    • England
Re: Studio art glass - ID = Alum Bay Glass, Isle of Wight
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 10:02:04 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for looking at this topic and for your replies.
Cheers
Keith M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand