No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut and engraved. Late 19th c.or early 20th? English?  (Read 771 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Cut and engraved. Late 19th c.or early 20th? English?
« on: October 29, 2023, 09:08:48 PM »
  Most of the pattern is polished, except the flower petals and punties [circles] on the neck and some of the smaller leafs on the vine along the shoulder are semi polished to a soft satin.
Possibly the larger aspects done with a stone wheel? Cutting on the handle is a series of opposing punties ending with a single one at top and bottom.

Not typical American treatment, somewhat understated which makes me think English. Opinions very much welcomed.

Lead glass. Almost 20cm to top of handle.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cut and engraved. Late 19th c.or early 20th? English?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 10:21:09 PM »
Cagney sorry you've not had a reply to this.

I'll dig out the Charles Hajdamach book later to see if there's anything similar.
It looks sort of 50s to me? 
In the meantime have you looked at the glass replacements site?  I can't remember what it's called but it's often suggested on here for table glass/clear glass replacements.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 10:49:53 PM »
  I never looked at it in that way [later- 50s].  I guess I was a bit taken with what I think are old school attributes of the blown blank, mostly the wide generous lip and the pointed back where the handle attaches.
Now that I think about it the engraving could certainly pass for 1950s, as well as the thinness of the blank. I have Hajdamachs book didn't see anything similar. Thanks for your input m .
    I still do think it more English than not.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:17:52 PM »
Yes the shape might be a bit deceptive is what I was thinking.  It was more the engraving I was looking at, thinking it looked the kind of thing that was done in the 50s perhaps. On an older fashioned shape if you see what I mean. 

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 10:53:24 PM »
  I will search a wider date line. See what comes up. I should remember to take the latest attribute first and start from there. Thanks for the hint   m.  .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 10:58:53 PM »
I know your jug is not fuchsia pattern but it vaguely reminded me of this type of thing:
https://brierleyhillcrystal.co.uk/cart/range/pattern/Fuchsia

I wonder if it might have been a Royal Brierley (Stevens and Williams) pattern perhaps?

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 02:07:15 PM »
 Seems I may have been way off the mark from the beginning.
  After thumbing through the book " THE COMPLETE CUT & ENGRAVED GLASS OF CORNING" by Estelle Sinclair Farrar and Jane Shadel Spillman, the pitcher relates favorably to a late version of T.G. Hawkes
GRAVIC line. Some relevant excerpts from the book: " the Gravic designs are usually fruits and flowers, which were copper-wheel engraved in the beginning and were later stone-engraved, as that was a less expensive process. The engraved flowers usually had mitre- cut leaves and stems". Concerning their wares from the 1920s another relevant quote from the book: "Engraved wares of the same period are usually simple and make much use of stone-wheel work and gang cutting. The designs introduced in this period stayed in the Hawkes line until the end. With few exceptions they are lighter in weight and are simpler compared with pre-World War I patterns".

For an example in the Corning Museum: https:/www.cmog.org/artwork/goblet-629
[crappy photos, but do click on the related items for other examples. Photos in the book are excellent and show many of the pieces at CMOG.]

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 04:40:29 PM »
I find the Corning site really irritating at the mo - however mostly if I cut and copy the item into a word doc they seem to be high res and detail can be seen quite well.

Is this pitcher a similar line to the Corning linked item?
https://www.replacements.com/crystal-hawkes-satin-iris-52-oz-pitcher/p/111299911

So do you think it might be a Hawkes product?  Did Hawkes not always mark their items?
Looking at the Replacements site and wow!  you could be here all week trying to find a pattern match.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 09:15:11 PM »
  Yes, the pitcher in your link is the same pattern and treatment as the Corning piece. If my pitcher is not a Hawkes product I think it most likely a corning product. Corning, N.Y. seems to have been a hot bed of glass cutting/engraving in the first half of the 20th c. Many companies large and small as well as many independent cutters/engravers working from home. These independents would do work for the established companies, fulfill individual orders privately and sometimes help each other fulfill large orders.
  T.G. Hawkes & Co. being somewhat akin to the independents in that they did not make glass but bought blanks from various makers throughout their history. Many entries in the 1920s catalog of "Satin Engraved". Certainly, the intent was to mark every piece before it left the premises.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand