No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Mantel Lusters - Assist with Age & Origin  (Read 590 times)

Offline Andrew Andersen

• Members
    • Handblown Glass
    • United States
Blue Mantel Lusters - Assist with Age & Origin
« on: December 15, 2023, 03:28:34 AM »
Greetings - I found this pair of mantel lusters in a charity shop.  I instantly thought English, Bristol glass - 19th Century- but then started to wonder if they are newer.   1930s?  Or from France? In very good condition.  They appear to have been lamped sometime mid 20th century. Any help with a date or ideas about origin?
Thank you for your assistance,
Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Blue Mantel Lusters - Assist with Age & Origin
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
They could be Bohemian but my thoughts are they are French opaline glass from around 1880-1900, maybe earlier, it's difficult to attribute a maker, a nice find though. Many pieces are said to be Bristol glass but they are more often than not Bohemian.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andrew Andersen

• Members
    • Handblown Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 10:08:12 PM »
Thank you!  Much appreciate your reply and knowledge. Very exciting to confirm they are 19th c.   So Prob. French or Bohemian. The gold work does remind me of Bohemian!  Thanks again!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 10:37:57 AM »
Definitely not English. What little decorative making there was in Bristol (apart from the very modern stuff) ceased decades before this was produced. Unfortunately, the internet perpetuates the Bristol glass myth. I would also say it was late 19th C Bohemian rather than French. The style is very typical. Unfortunately, the internet also perpetuates the myth that opaline glass is French. Some of it is but much of it is Bohemian

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 01:33:58 PM »
Interestingly Christine Vincendeau in her book Les Opalines describes a pair of lustres as "porte-ananas" or pineapple holders.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 08:48:43 AM »
The pineapple holders have much flatter/wider tops than this common deep cup shape; you were displaying your wealth, not hiding it in a cup. These were for mantlepieces or similar and designed to reflect candlelight

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 05:00:40 PM »
The French certainly consider them to be pineapple holders. When you search “Porte ananas”, there are very many. I wonder how they were sold in the catalogues in France.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 12:45:30 PM »
The French also call all art glass pate de verre! Silber & Fleming has them (many of them) in the coloured and decorated glass ornaments section and calls them lustres. There is not one in the tableware section, which includes table ornaments. Absolutely no mention of pineapples. Pineapples were also much more commonplace by the time these were made and there wasn't the same desire to display them on their own as there had been in earlier times

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 03:53:05 PM »
There is a lustre described as a pineapple holder c1850 in this L'Est Républicain review of the Baccarat museum, presumably the annotation of their photographs came from the museum - “un porte-ananas (vers 1850) dans le nouveau musée Baccarat”:
https://www.estrepublicain.fr/edition-de-luneville/2015/10/07/baccarat-ouverture-du-nouveau-musee-de-la-cristallerie

This is from Korean Facebook but there is a review of Charles DeGalle’s birthplace that has lustre type pineapple holders, one shown on the table holding a pineapple.
https://www.facebook.com/MaisonNataleCharlesdeGaulle/?locale=ko_KR

Direct link to the four photos from above:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=681342474015951&set=pcb.681342524015946&locale=ko_KR

And also the book Nev mentions.

Silber & Fleming was a London retailer, not French?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
Those ones in the French references are very possibly pineapple stands; note the wide shallow cups. My point was not that lustre-type pineapple stands don't exist, rather that they have to be the correct shape. The ones under discussion (Andrew's) would be useless for pineapples. Silber and Fleming was a London wholesaler and the catalogue is c1889, which is likely about when Andrew's date from. By then, displaying your pineapple was no longer a thing but pairs of lustres on your mantle were. However, you would have been very wealthy to afford two pineapples even when displaying them was a thing.

Some lustres found on the internet, particularly early to mid 19th C ones, are possibly pineapple stands. But be aware that most won't be. The internet is very useful but it also perpetuates numerous glass myths; polished pontil mark = Whitefriars; hot-worked glass = Murano; enamelled glass = Bristol; a solid lump of glass = hand blown....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand