No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you identify this signed studio glass vase?  (Read 574 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Can you identify this signed studio glass vase?
« on: December 19, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »
This is a signed dichroic studio vase.    The vase is in excellent condition for its age.  It shows some age related wear and tear to the base commensurate with use.   It has a rough pontil mark to the base. The vase measures 14.5 cm (5.8 inches) in its widest point at the slightly undulating bowl rim and is 18 cm (7.2 inches) in height.  The bowl is blown in amethyst and green coloured glass with an external surface covered with clear glass trailing.  The vase is signed to the base "xxxxxxxxxxx" in script.  There are no chips, cracks, significant scratches or any evidence of restoration.  The vase weighs 1.47 kg. (~ 3 lb. 4 oz.).   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Re: Can you identify this signed studio glass vase?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »
can't help, but wanted to say what a stunning piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 05:42:28 PM »
Interesting piece, whilst the style doesn't look typical, I think the signature may read Peter Layton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »
The nearest thing I know of in style, (and when I checked, realised it is still probably a good bit off) is Agnes Smetana. But she may well have refined her style since '88.
Or perhaps it's just the combination of green and purple with external decor that is triggering me.
It is one I love. ;D
And her work is always worth seeing anyway. :P

https://prisma-gallery.com/index.php/galleries/36-gallery-of-agnes-smetana
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 10:01:29 AM »
Hi, thanks to all for your replies.  It was bought at auction with the auctioneer claiming it was a Peter Layton piece.  The signature is not his as far as I can see nor is the vase blown in his style as has been commented - hence this posting.   I bought it believing it was unlikely to be Peter's work and I have a number of his pieces in stock.  I can see why you and the auctioneer might think it is his signature as the style of script is similar but I've only ever seen his work with the forename spelt out in full.  I'll see if I can find any of his early work that might resemble this one anyway.

I seem to remember seeing a couple of vases of similar construct sold at auction earlier this year at Cotswold Auctions in Cheltenham.  From what I remember it was a woman artist but I can't remember her name and they don't publish past catalogues.  I'll keep looking and really appreciated the input.  Kind regards, Neil

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 10:03:39 AM »
I do like the Smetana vases.  Very organic.  I don't think it is her work though.  Again, much thanks, Neil

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 10:10:26 AM »
I've sent a message to Peter at London Glassblowing asking if he is prepared to comment on whether he blew it or not.  Neil

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Hi Neil,
Hopefully, LGB will be able to confirm the signature, you may not hear back as they don't always reply regarding pieces in the secondary market. Just to add, Peters signature can sometimes look like it was signed Ptr, it was just signed very quickly. The style is quite different from his more recent work, however, some of his earlier work around this time can be slightly different stylistically. Hope you get an answer!

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 02:45:36 PM »
Thank you Greg, I'll update the post as soon as I know anything.  Kind regards

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 04:37:43 PM »
Mr. Layton mostly just designs and has other artists make the work, these days, although he supervises each piece.
My first impressions of the signature had me thinking the surname started with a Z and that there also seems to be a q in the middle.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand