No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian? Latticino  (Read 477 times)

Offline Orchestratedmess

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Italian? Latticino
« on: December 30, 2023, 06:20:16 PM »
Had these for in storage and recently rediscovered!  Paper sticker on the bottom of the bottle (only) appears to say “made in Italy” though only “made” is plain to read and the “Y” is readable on the last word.  Any way to tell the decade, maker from the sticker and/or style? 
Thanks for any assistance at all because all I know is the word “latticino”.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Italian? Latticino
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »
This is all guesswork, from the label maybe 60s or earlier, the quality of the work looks good, beautifully made canes well controlled, the Toso dynasty springs to mind first. So Fratelli Toso and Aureliano Toso are makers to check, it is not typically what I associate with Barovier & Toso.

Latticino says white to me another term would be filigrana.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 05:34:55 PM »
Latticino is apparently a collector's term, not a Murano term (it means dairy, not lattice). Garza (gauze) or filigrana is better

Offline Orchestratedmess

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 09:40:28 PM »
John - exciting!  So, 50s, 60s maybe. Attributable to one of those Toso guys - is that okay to say?  When I searched the recommended glass search, I found Dino Martens name mentioned with Toso, but that is not what I have, correct?  These are rather heavy and thick.

Lustrousstone- Happy to learn the proper names!  But also, if I list these, without using the commonly used “latticino”, I’m afraid half the interested buyers will click on by.  I will correct this in a description though.

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 01:41:18 AM »
I suspect the label is a retail label and not the makers.
Excellent examples and certainly 50/60s work. May be hard to ID as most good makers did work in this vein.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand