No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CMOG  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
CMOG
« on: January 01, 2024, 10:20:11 AM »
Does anyone have any information on how to access CMOG catalogues which are actually available online?   I haven't discovered a way to do this without tunnelling through acres of data which are available only in person.  I know they say they are updating & digitising but there doesn't seem any immediate solution.  I did try asking them but their only response was to ask what I was looking for in particular, which I wasn't. :(

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: CMOG
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 09:59:58 PM »
I was having the same problem. They used to show all the trade catalogue that were available online in a long list, as you say, they have now mixed them altogether with all the offline stuff, and there is masses of that.

It’s not ideal, but for example to search for the St Louis catalogues, I do an advanced search, with “Louis Digitized” (digitised with a z) in the search field and select trade catalogues from the material type menu. It still comes up with quite a lot of unavailable items but it’s easier to scroll through and you can identify the digitised catalogues as there will be a thumb nail photo of the cover on the left. With Digitized in the search you get 65 results rather than 584 without.

https://cmog.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/search?vid=01CORNING_INST:01CORNING_INST&lang=en

You need to know roughly what you’re searching for though. Please get back if you find a better method.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 01:15:25 PM »
Thanks Ekimp for posting that, it's a very handy tip.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 03:19:47 PM »
 :) it’s actually not that bad and think I’ve found some stuff I missed before.

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: CMOG - Solution!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 10:33:03 AM »
Actually, visiting the site again yesterday, I realised there is now an easy way:  there is a section right at the beginning of the Rakow part, where online items are listed together & can be searched.  Rakow Digital Collections - Trade Catalogs:  https://cmog.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/collectionDiscovery?vid=01CORNING_INST:01CORNING_INST&collectionId=8154043990004126

They've had a notice up for yonks saying they are digitising their collection & this, presumably, is the early stages of the results.    Perhaps understandably, most of the items shown are Corning, but others are available & it completely removes the frustration of searching for something one can actually see :)

Thank you to everyone for their replies.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 09:28:25 AM »
I did see the Rakow Digital Collection Trade catalogs, but it doesn’t seem to have the catalogues that I’m interested in that are available if you search in the way I described. For example, if you search the Rakow Digital Collection for St Louis or Baccarat it is empty, whereas there are actually catalogues available from the other search. As those catalogues are already digitised (and have been for years) I don’t know why they wouldn’t be included, it almost like it’s a different collection.

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 10:21:15 AM »
Huh! :o   How right you are!   If you go to this page & type in St. Louis, for instance, you get everything they have but as its only 20 items, it isn't too difficult to find the catalogue:

https://cmog.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/collectionDiscovery?vid=01CORNING_INST:01CORNING_INST&query=any,contains,st%20louis

I've sent a query with screenshots to them, in the hope that this can be sorted out.  There is obviously a problem with the algorithm or data input.  I must admit, I was browsing everything they have in the digitised section (which at present isn't too extensive) so hadn't noticed that not insignificant glitch.

I shall cross my fingers.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 10:40:04 AM »
Thanks for doing that, be good to have all the digital catalogues in one place. When I tried browsing it was mostly Pyrex  :(

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 12:07:55 PM »
Too true!     :(

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: CMOG - partly fixed
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 05:21:13 PM »
I've had a nice email from CMOG saying they think they've put that right & requesting any further glitches be pointed out to them.   Very polite & emphasising that the digitisation project is in its early stages.

I think there may be a problem with previously digitised catalogues not showing but need to look at it more carefully to be sure.

It will be a remarkable resource.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand