No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ale Glass Engraved Jame Hogg.  (Read 555 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Ale Glass Engraved Jame Hogg.
« on: January 30, 2024, 01:00:24 PM »
I think this is an early-mid Victorian ale glass. It is engraved with the name James Hogg, a surname more commonly found in Scotland, which might indicate it's origin. It's 5.5" tall and quite wide at 4.5", with a rough snapped pontil mark.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Ale Glass Engraved Jame Hogg.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 02:21:25 PM »
It rings beautifully and a density test gives it at 450/150 so 3gms/cm3. No clue yet as to a possible maker.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 04:25:48 PM »
Nice glass, and with the name too - I couldn’t write that well with a biro on paper ;) A nice glass to use I should think.

Does it definitely have a rough pontil mark, it looks quite smooth like those made with a gadget? The swirl on the bottom looks like where the glob of glass used to make the foot was twisted off, similar to ‘T’ shaped shear marks, but twisted off rather than sheared.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 05:50:57 PM »
Thanks Ekimp, it definitely has a snapped pontil as part of it is still quite sharp but the rest has been smoothed. Overall the foot is very crude, apprentice made perhaps? The stem and the bowl are really well made. Curiously I have another engraved goblet, signed L. Hay/Ray, it could almost have been done by the same person. 

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 06:51:32 PM »
Ok, thanks. Sometimes it’s surprising how the pontil rod can come off without too much of a scar.

The foot looks fine, it looks like it sits on the outer edge of the foot rather than wobbling around the middle…and is round. Some of them are horrible!

Maybe they were all taught their letters the same way.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 11:45:48 PM »
Looks like a rummer type bowl about 1800,but it is unusual to see a ball knop on that form ,in my rummer book you do see the ball knop on 1810ish cylinder rummers .I wonder if that style of pin point engraving might nail down a date ??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 08:55:16 AM »
Looks like diamond etching and not done professionally, so I doubt it will help with dating. It's not uncommon to find such engraving. This possibly Edward Moore salt is etched Thomas, Jane and Mary http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=826

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 09:03:49 AM »
I think the skill level is much higher on Nev’s glass than your example Christine if you look closely .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 01:40:07 PM »
Doesn't mean it's professional though

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 02:21:59 PM »
Thanks bat20, as you say it seems to be a crossover. The bowl and the disc where it joins the stem appear to be around 1800 , the ball knop and the snapped pontil a bit later. The dates when the various features changed don't seem to be set in stone. There was a Scottish writer called James Hogg(1770-1835), though it would really be wishful thinking to connect it to him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand