No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bonnet glass I believe ?  (Read 318 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Bonnet glass I believe ?
« on: February 25, 2024, 12:13:38 AM »
Just 3.5 inches tall, lots of wear with a lemon-squeezer foot, early 1800 ?

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Bonnet glass I believe ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 01:32:36 AM »
Nice. There is one very nearly identical to this, no.578, in Bickerton’s Eighteenth Century English Drinking Glasses. Same shape and size, also with notched rim and ribs, collar above rudimentary stem. The foot in the book has a stepped square-moulded lemon squeezer base. So in the book the foot is square like yours but with another smaller square layer on top instead of the first round layer on yours. He calls it a Monteith (which I thought was the same thing as a Bonnet) and c1800.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 12:04:09 AM »
I thought a Montieth was a large bowl for cleaning wine glasses, I have seen these also called Monteiths, wonder why ? ??? ;D

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 08:11:01 PM »
  The Winterthur Museum has similar example, only differs in the pattern molding in the bowl. The link address way too convoluted for me her. This link will take you to the collection site, click on the glass section and enter1974.0148 in the search bar, should pop right up.museumcollection.winterthur.org/index.php#.Y1cHFS2ZP1x

Bonnet glass will not get the results you want at Winterthur or CMOG. better results with "salt mold blown" "Monteith" maybe a handful of results. To see all their bonnet glasses simply "salt" and "monteith" you will have to wade through 59 pages of mostly pressed lacy.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 12:01:48 AM »
Have tried the link with varied descriptions, none of them work for me, probably my antique computer !

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 10:03:07 PM »
  Too bad. I had no trouble on my 13 yr old MAC. But its getting there. As near as I can tell it mirrors yours in every aspect except the pattern molding in the bowl. The Winterthur examples pattern molding is a perfect match to the bowl in this glass pictured except they sheared it off at only two rows of diamonds above the pointed flutes. Winterthur says English C. 1800-1810. 6.2 cm dia. x 8.45 cm height

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 12:02:35 AM »
Nice piece, think my pc is about 15 years old now and needs updating  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand