No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help w ID / Date Glass Vase maybe Georgian  (Read 177 times)

Offline Glassine

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique & Vintage Glass
    • USA
Help w ID / Date Glass Vase maybe Georgian
« on: April 07, 2024, 12:46:43 AM »
I'm new at this, having inherited and needing to properly liquidate the estate of a serious US collector.  I've got some books but no experience.

On this vase:  There are no mold marks but also no pontil mark (unless ground away); and no trademark.  The base has normal-looking wear marks.

The side corset ribs are definitely cut, and edges of the lower facets and bottom star are crisp, so this isn't simply pressed glass.  I have known examples of old cut and pressed glass to compare with.

The glass has a slight yellowish tinge, only noticeable when looking at the thicker parts.  It rings more than does pressed glass but not as much as crystal.  And it's relatively heavy:  at 7" tall the vase weighs 26 oz - though this is in part because the walls are / seem thick.  Under my 395nM UV light there is no particular shade (eg. no green or yellow glow).

The guess at UK Georgian is because of the facets on the base and the vertical cut strokes; and I find nothing like this in US pattern glass books.  However, the yellow tinge is odd for Georgian, and is also a reason to doubt my original thought of flint glass because that would be gray (though this does look gray where it doesn't look yellow...).

Any thoughts, especially on date or era / type of glass / nation would be welcome.  I don't expect to identify a maker and probably not even a style name.  Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glassine

• Members
    • USA
Re: Help w ID / Date Glass Vase maybe Georgian
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 06:14:10 AM »
Correction - a comment elsewhere is that Georgian glass often has a yellow tinge.  Another says that it's typically gray.  Depending on the view, this vase can be described both ways.  So I think those comments are not in conflict and in fact point to this being Georgian.

Very open to other thoughts :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 02:08:28 PM »
As you say, it might be difficult to find a maker, if you haven't already looked replacements.com might help. It's not always a pointer but there doesn't seem to be enough wear on the base for it to be Georgian, perhaps early 20th. century.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glassine

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 04:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Replacements.  I've been on their site but didn't realize that they have "search by image" which will be very useful.

On this piece I don't find a match but do see a few known-maker items with some similar features; and a few "unknown maker" items a little more similar.  Seeing what else is out there does help, especially if I can connect a date range.  The known-maker items are probably 20th-century (I'll look into those) which would square with your interesting observation on bottom wear.

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand