No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id help please. French?  (Read 116 times)

Offline tictac

• Members
Id help please. French?
« on: April 07, 2024, 12:24:46 PM »
Thank you in advance for any pointers or help in an factory attribute.

My observation on it are its a bit amateur. The glass is thick it appears to have a slight yellowish tint to it. The bubbles look more agitated than controlled like they have been stirred in rather than blown in with the odd oversized bubble not adding to the design in any way. The applied sides are not really symmetrical with less in one side than the other. The oval  shaped opening is a little wavy.

I am measuring this against Scandinavian factory glass that have very high finishing standards.

Height 24cn width 18cm depth 9cm approx. Weighs 2.5kg

Polished pontil significant wear to the base. No signature visible.

Any ideas on timeline / country / maker?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Id help please. French?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 04:39:51 PM »
An image search brings up this similar looking one by Schneider who might be a possibility.

https://www.tooveys.com/lots/296239/a-schneider-art-glass-vase/
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tictac

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 05:51:47 PM »
That's a great shout Nev. This example has just a hint of the yellow visible on the tooveys piece and of course mine is unsigned. Reading just now on the glass museum site about the factory it states nearly always signed... It also appears to be more, how can I say politely, well made than mine.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 06:42:30 PM »
I was thinking along those lines too, French and deco, a touch of Maurice Marinot about it. The inexactness may well have been part of any philosophy, hand made artisan as opposed to factory production line, check the bottom third of the vase as well as the base for any faint makers mark.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tictac

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 09:27:04 PM »
Thank you John. I'll have a look into marinot. I found another  artist I dint know before, an andre thuret so this has definitely not been in vain. It's great to see pieces for the first time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand