No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Curious thrift find, Polish?  (Read 206 times)

Offline Zender

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th century
    • The Netherlands
Curious thrift find, Polish?
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:14:07 AM »
This was the only marked piece of glass in the entire thrift store.. if we ignore the 20 euro Kosta Boda snow ball...
No idea what this piece is, but it has something.

Bottom is marked, but searching on Unikat gave me no hits. A google lens search gave me one almost identical vase which was mentioned as "Unica". Well, it's clearly not a unique vase at least.
Payed a grand total of 8 euro's for it, on a gamble. Worst case I have a hand blown, worthless jug without any chips or cracks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Curious thrift find, Polish?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 04:50:08 PM »
 :o :o :o
Unikat is German for "Unique". And I think the signature reads E. Eisch, for Erwin Eisch and if you think this is a bit of worthless rubbish can I have it pretty, pretty, pretty please? ;)

It is not worthless. It's really rather wonderful.  ;D 8) ;D
E. Eisch was a German pioneer of the Studio Glass Movement.
However, there seems to be nother name there, possibly Schaffler?
I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of the whole history. There is an Eisch dynasty. The studio name is Glashutte Valentin Eisch. Founded in'46.

I love it anyway. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 07:31:48 PM »
A very knowledgable friend is a bit doubtful about my attribution.
Which I take seriously.
I have found a thread with conversation, illustrations and useful links here, which might explain a bit more.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55854.msg316625.html#msg316625

It still looks as if it belongs with an Eisch somewhere to me.
The multiple subtly clashing colours, the swag decor and the application of clear glass features all fit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Zender

• Members
    • 20th century
    • The Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 04:37:43 PM »
So it's probably German in origin at least. Would make sense as Im in the Netherlands. Most times, glass stays close to home. (Also why I can't find any Viking or Fenton uranium pieces here... but that's a different story.)

The signatures seem very clear, but to me they are unreadable. Is there a signature database somewhere?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 05:19:45 PM »
 ;D
Glass travels very extensively and I'm afraid there is no database of signatures.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Zender

• Members
    • 20th century
    • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 07:15:36 AM »
After bothering some friends with a picture of the signatures, the following possible names came up:

E. Fischer & W. Schoch?er (Schochler?)
E Fesclu or Fesdu & Shöd..

Do any of these ring a bell?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 04:59:45 PM »
No. Sorry.

I have found an image of an Erwin Eisch signature from '89, a drinking glass from the "poetry in glass" series.
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/47319-eisch-poetry-in-glass-part-2--drinkin

I tend to look at the glass itself for identity, rather than relying on marks. I'm no good at deciphering handwriting, it looks odd anyway given it has to be executed on a cold glass surface, and they can be added later on by unscrupulous people.

This is a studio piece. It is made by somebody who used a four pronged pontil rod, which is fairly unusual and might help eliminate certain makers.  :)
I have managed to find photos of two Eisch bits I have. The second is from the "poetry in glass" series and it has an applied clear glass, little round handle.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:26:07 PM »
Swedish glasshouse Maleras also used the wording Unikat on the bottom of a vase from Ingeborg Lundin so it might not be specific to German glass.
But I can't help any further except to say it reminds me of Ukranian folk glass from an earlier period in the 20th century.  They were fond of pink and pincered glass but nothing in any of the few and limited  resources I have.

This is one on ebay located in California - different jug great reeded handle and spotted yellow on clear glass jug, same pontil mark, and signed the same way as op's - signature could be designer and maker?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254107044422
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand