No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unrecorded? Mark on pressed glass compote c.1840  (Read 204 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Unrecorded? Mark on pressed glass compote c.1840
« on: May 18, 2024, 09:20:53 PM »
  I unpacked this compote recently and just realized that it is marked with a raised H&V on the inside bottom of the bowl. I cannot find anything about this mark anywhere. Any information or even guesses at this point much appreciated.

This pattern of leaf scrolls and stars in quadrants separated by lines shows up in the Luanay, Hautin catalogues of 1840 and 1841in the form of plates no.1222. CMOG has a 4 in. plate in virtually the same pattern as the catalogue examples that they attribute to Belgium. 65.3.64. All these examples differ from mine in the center pattern, diamonds and star center versus dots and clear center.

The closest example to my pattern can be found herewww.pressglas.de/Pressglas_1840-1940/Nullserie_start/Nullserie_2/nullserie_2.html. I think the mould for the bowl on mine is specifically to be attached to a stand , thus no need for the star center or a foot ring to rest on a flat surface.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Unrecorded? Mark on pressed glass compote c.1840
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 11:59:07 PM »
This could be a complete misdirection however there is information here on Pressglas Korrespondenz regarding Russian examples of Launay Hautin glass:

https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2008-2w-00.pdf

These have different markings on the base to that on yours.  However I was just wondering if perhaps yours might not be H & V but perhaps Cyrillic?  I couldn't see the mark on yours very well though so this suggestion could be way off course.(Edit - I've looked again and got my straight eyes on and I can see the mark now so my comments are possibly not relevant - it does look like H&V to me but that doesn't ring any bells.  Apologies)

That said, your pattern looks very similar to that in the Launay Hautin catalogue.  Perhaps it was later produced piece not in those catalogues?  or an earlier piece? For example I have a piece not in the catalogues (1840 or 1841) however it is thought to be an 1830s piece from probably Saint Louis.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 12:00:45 AM »
  Thanks for the tip. At least its something, where before I had nothing. The H and V are literally the font I am using now, the & is an assumption on my part it could very well be something else, All somewhat soft and faint I think from fire-polishing.
The possibility that it is an earlier piece did cross my mind. The fact that the small pontil on the base left rough, the overfill on the rim and even the nice applied and shaped ring on the stem does not bring to mind French work c.1840.   another pos of the mark:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 12:30:18 AM »
That just looks like H V to me.  No 'and' or '&' or 'E' in the middle - though there might be a small circle?
Very interesting piece.   

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 12:40:41 AM »
Your photograph of the full inside pattern looks remarkably like the Reijmyre version (1897 page 60 no 2500) as quoted on the info on the link you gave earlier:

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Reijmyre-1897.165+B6YmFja1BJRD0xNjUmcHJvZHVjdElEPTY5MjgmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MTY1JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

However I couldn't spot any other of the footed bowls with a similar construction and the foot on their footed bowls looks different to yours.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 11:33:25 AM »
  This pattern and variants [ very close if not the same ] also shows up in a VSL catalogue c.1847 and 1897, seems to have had a long and varied life. Interestingly the pattern on the foot seems to match the base/foot of an unrelated pattern in the 1841 Luanay & Hautin catalogue no. 2275 S&L.  It may be a mold makers mark similar to the "W""WR" "D" marks  discussed in an earlier thread.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 08:21:46 PM »
I don't think the base of the foot is the same as 2275 (It's S.L. for Saint Louis I believe) 1841 2me Partie planche 72.

It looks different to me as that one isn't dotted but appears ribbed to my eyes?

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 01:51:22 PM »
  Not the same. Got ahead of myself there. Although some similarities in lay out. Target center, divided into quadrants what I see as probable diamond field between the lines . Hard to tell, quite small.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand