No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Goblet  (Read 1188 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Uranium Goblet
« on: July 08, 2024, 05:48:54 PM »
This was a nice find at an antiques fair today. It is the same as the 2426 pattern shown on planche 78 of the 1840 Launay Hautin catalogue except that it has a hexagonal foot instead of a flower shaped one. The description says "Verre Medicis" which seems to be one of Baccarat's ranges and "m. Ecussons" which perhaps could translate as shields or lenses. It is 14cm. tall and has 1/4 moulded into the base which might indicate its volume of 1/4 of a pint.
Apparently during the first part of the 19thC. the French were using a mixture of the metric system and the old system, and a variety of different measures were used.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1840.20+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMCZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9ODE3JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTIwJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Baccarat Uranium Goblet
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 11:24:28 AM »
Reading through flying free's earlier post I see what appears to be 2 after the B is shown in the 1841 catalogue introduction as "ordinaire pour id", I'm not sure what that indicates. The m before Ecusson is for motif, the word ecusson is related to the English escutcheon.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1841.21+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9ODE5JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTIxJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 06:28:35 PM »
It would be more helpful if your photographs showed it profile side on against a white background.

I say that because the foot is not the same design as the one in the catalogue Launay Hautin, so to me it's not the same goblet. Also it looks less squat shaped bowl than the one in the catalogue and where the stem meets the bowl it is different.

There are other makers who made similar designs later in the century I think which is why I would query it until you can find a match for the shape and the foot.
I think it might be better to move this to Glass until it is verified as from Baccarat.
Have you contacted Mr Geiselberger to ask his opinion?  or looked through Pressglas Korrespondenz for other options of makers?  He has done a lot of research of items that look similar to the catalogue Launay Hautin but turned out not to be from them.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 10:00:10 AM »
Thanks m, I've added a photo. It seems to me it's the same pattern as the Baccarat one, if slightly less squat, as far down as the hexagonal ridge around the foot and it's only the shape of the foot that is different. Other pieces of theirs have a hexagonal foot so perhaps it's a variant pattern. Having said that I see what you are saying and I will try to contact Mr. Geiselberger to get his opinion.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 10:33:18 AM »
ah right, I can see the ridge where the stem and bowl join now.  Thanks.
It's a great colour and probably similar to/the same as one of my green tumblers (both emerald green but different batches it seemed to me as colour differs).
It looks v similar to the colour of my larger tumbler although of course online it's very hard to judge:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64402.0;attach=237296;image

However, given the difference in the bowl shape and especially the foot I think it's worth contacting Mr Geiselberger to ask his opinion about the foot. I am sure other makers have done similar designs but with different base/foot but equally he might have other views about the date of the piece maybe or something?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 10:43:00 AM »
Reading through flying free's earlier post I see what appears to be 2 after the B is shown in the 1841 catalogue introduction as "ordinaire pour id", I'm not sure what that indicates. The m before Ecusson is for motif, the word ecusson is related to the English escutcheon.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1841.21+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9ODE5JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTIxJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
It's an Italic 1 after the B I think?  Perhaps indicating it was for water.  see ' Verres gondole à pied rond ou carré':

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 11:29:37 AM »
Yes m I couldn't work out if it was a 1 or 2, it appears to have a tail on the bottom which their 1's don't appear to have. I've e-mailed Mr. G. so am hoping for a reply. I still don't know what the "id" stands for.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 11:43:38 AM »
It's a 1.

I don't understand your comment about "id" - edit - oh are you reading about the oil decanters?  on the descriptions page where it says 'Etrusque pour id.'?  The "pour id." means ditto I think. i.e. ditto the comment above it applies to Etrusque model.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 01:51:06 PM »
Yes ditto, idem in French apparently, they use it a few times.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024, 09:55:25 AM »
I've had a reply from Mareike Michl at PK, she says she doubts that it is Launay Hautin because of the colour, she doesn't mention Baccarat. She says it could be No.2099 shown in the 1878 Vallerysthal catalogue but the illustration isn't clear, I've not been able to find that catalogue. Another possibility is Villeroy Boch, late 19thC. She's going to pass the photo onto a collector who has done research into this type of glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand