No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone recognise these please?.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Anyone recognise these please?.
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:07:58 PM »
Here are 3 undamaged vases I picked up in boot sales today for less than a fiver :oops: . I know the one on the left is Holmegaard because it is signed with Per Lutkin's initials etc. But I am confused as to who made the others. The blue vase would suggest another piece of Holmegaard by Brauer but is very light in weight, but could be right . The very styalised bronze/orange vase I don't recognise at all. :?
Does anyone have any ideas please. The picture is not great but had to be taken quickly before the sun went down.
http://i9.tinypic.com/29wwubc.jpg

Thanks again.

Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!"  :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
I've seen the stylised orange one with a label on in the past.  Square label with letters "P d" in the centre, and "Peedee" underneath the letters, with "HANDMADE"  "IN ITALY" on either side.  For some unknown reason, I made a note of it when I spotted it.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
Hi,
Thanks Anne . I was really hoping it might have been Blenko !! :(  :wink:

Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Hiya Bryn, the blue one looks like a bottle vase (or Gulvase) by Otto Brauer - 1960's.  You say it's light - what is the height and weight?  I have two in my shop (one huge and cased) but the uncased amber looks a similar size to yours - how does it compare height and weight wise - my amber one is 10in/25cm tall and 686g (obviously they came in various sizes, colours and finishes).  I think the blue uncased ones are relatively rare though.  It looks OK to me but I'm sure Nic will be along to yea or nay this for sure.  Nice finds BTW  :wink:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:13:35 PM »
Kastrup / Kastrup-Holmegaard only made uncased Gulvases in dark green, dark (Bristol) blue and amber, between 1962 and (as far as I can tell) approx. 1967/68.

As far as I've ascertained all Gulvases produced in smokey grey, clear, and light blue were made in the UK, apparently under license from Holmegaard - but I've no evidence to back this up or indicate which company that may have been. Of course, there were also factories in Italy knocking out copies at the same time.

My own personal stance is that until someone can turn up some evidence of the licensing of the Gulvase to anyone else, examples not in the three original colours would be safest viewed as copies.

As a sidenote, cased ones were produced in yellow (both with white interior and yellow interior), white, blue, red-orange, red, light-to-mid green, and very rarely the dark green used for the uncased examples. Anything not in these colours is certainly Italian.... as are some in these colours. It's a bit of a minefield!  :lol:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 10:23:08 PM »
Bryn - I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be Blenko :wink:  :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »
Oh, I forgot to say... the pattern of the Lutken one is generally refered to as the "Torpedo" vase amongst dealers/collectors.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 12:29:08 AM »
Orange one looks like Wayne Husted for Stelvia - Empoli - (not quite Blenko but as Husted designed for both companies it's pretty close!) See earlier discussion on the board (with pics) here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2303.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
Firstly let me apologise for my delay in replying to all your most helpful posts :oops: . I was out on my usual boot hunt this morning but returned to find that my Broadband link had gone down, the only site I could get into was Google!! and no further. Fortunately it has just sprung to life.
In answer to Pip's enquiry the "Gulvase" measures around 10.25" tall but weighs almost exactly 400gms. Rather lightweight.
I was pleased to see the Blenko connection through Husted I thought :roll:  there had to be some connection.
Thanks also Pinkspoons for the Lungren Torpedo info and everything else, brilliant help as always.
I picked up a "pair" of strange Mdina candlesticks? today and will be listing later for your opinions please.
Many Thanks once again.

Bryn (not Brian)

"It's STILL a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 07:05:05 PM »
Hi Anne,
To follow up on your earlier most helpful comments I have just seen the Husted vase in blue on the website Blenko Glass Collectors  - The Collectors four, which shows details of his work after leaving Blenko and joining Stelvia in Italy, the pattern is called Antiqua.
 :D
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!"  :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand