No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identifying this beautiful piece of glass...  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Help Identifying this beautiful piece of glass...
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 03:18:41 AM »
I was just browsing ebay and came across this ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150044858190&fromMakeTrack=true

It will be interesting to see if it flies as the price seems a little :shock: to me.  I have a weight very similar but nicer (imho).  I'll post pictures tomorrow when the light is better.

Til then, all the best .... Lily

Your vase is bright and cheery (like my pw).  I'm glad you put it up on the message board.  I figured mine was just another of my Muranos and wasn't going to post it.  Now I hope to find out more. :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
Re: find or no find?
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 05:06:26 AM »
Quote from: "Carterofmars"
I paid 10.00 for the vase at a antique/flea market this past weekend.  The woman wanted 20.00 but I insisted on ten and when I walked away she agreed to 10.00  :)  Anyway, I found alot of links for Fratelli Toso but find the following the most interesing:

http://www.moltabellaglass.com/items/551141/item551141store.html#item

There is no comparison between the canes in Carter's images in the above URL and the canes in his piece that started this thread. The above piece has classic Murano cog canes, large and chalky and subtle in color.

The canes in the thread-starting piece have that melted look and are brighter in terms of primary colors and are gaudier - all typical of China-made items.

Thus, there is no comparison between the two pieces. They are not similar and shouldn't even seem similar to even the untrained eye.

One is Murano and one is a colorful reporduction.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 07:42:33 AM »
These are known as 'Moretti' canes.  http://www.crloo.com/Products/Lampworking_Glass/Effetre/Effetre_5/effetre_5.html

I would say they are undoubtedly the canes used in the vase in question.  They are available for sale to glassmakers over the internet. I guess therefore the question of whether the vase was actually constructed from these canes in Murano is indeed a moot point.  However, the canes are the same.  

And not all 'classic' Murano canes are subtle in colour.  In fact, I would say most are not.
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »
And not all 'classic' Murano canes are subtle in colour. In fact, I would say most are not.

And what's wrong with loud, un-subtle canes, anyway? :wink:
They rock my world & were what turned me on to glass when I was a kid (early 80s, saw a Moretti cane paperweight & was never quite the same again......."Mum! Look at all the little stars & flowers!")
B.T.W, & F.Y.I to all concerned parties, here are two prime examples of confirmed Murano items featuring aforementioned Moretti canes.......

The handkerchief vase is c.1970s, & the small vase (with all-over gold leaf) is late 1990s.
Carterofmars, I think your vase is nice & you got a good deal. I would be very happy with it if I were you!
 :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »
Hi Marinka, Those canes do look awfully familiar :)

At the risk of 'cafeing' the conversation, what are you doing up at this time of night? :)
Cheers, Cathy.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »
Howdy Cathy, :)
It's school hols (I'm a teacher) & I can stay up as late as I want......& I'm nerding around as I like to call it!
 :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 12:46:08 AM »
Hello again.  I see the discussion goes on.  Here are the photos of my paperweight with canes similar to those in CoM's vase and other pieces shown in this thread.  I have just posted it in the Paperweight category (Murano vs Chinese ....?).

All the best ... Lily :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3614

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
Hi Lily, :)
that's a nice Moretti cane paperweight you've got there!
I think it is c.1970s.
I have one very similar with the original sticker, & it's definitely a Murano piece, admittedly not high-end, but colourful & decorative (it's all you need, really :D ).
I don't have a photo of mine but will try to get a pic of it & it's sticker on the GMB when I get around to it.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 05:31:50 PM »
Thank you, Marinka, for your nice post.  I look forward to seeing your pw with its sticker when you have a moment.  You are absolutely right  :D, our collections are meant to bring us enjoyment and top $$$$ doesn't always do it!

Enjoy your glass and thanks for sharing ..... Lily

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
proof is in the price pudding
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:02 PM »
The owner of the item, Carterofmars, indicates he paid $10 for the piece, which was originally priced at $20. This means the seller paid something like $3 or $4 for the piece, if that. Sellers don't shave away at their profit margins, unless they paid very little originally. Quality Murano pieces would wholesale and retail for a lot more. Perhaps these are Murano canes sold in a lot by the tens of thousands and transported, but this is not a made-in-Murano item.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand