No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 new glass pieces - much ID needed CAITHNESS MURANO?  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
3 new glass pieces - much ID needed CAITHNESS MURANO?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:02:53 PM »
David - US company Erickson apparently made a few Coquille wannabes which weren't signed.

Chalet seems to me to be a beautiful clear crystal metal and a bit finer than other freeform glass as well, but then as you say, it seems all sorts of people were making similar sorts of glass.

Must go to bed now, it's just gone midnight,
Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 01:05:25 PM »
I wasn't aware of that, but this one had the white inclusion that seems to define Coquille. Wasn't Chalet to the best of my knowledge.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »
Quite right, the Erickson don't have that typical white layer.  Are Flygfors usually signed?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »
Invariably.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:34 AM »
Deary me.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: qustion
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
Quote from: "wrightoutlook"
Question for the experts. Would all true Chalet be signed? Or would it be typical of the work of many glassmakers? Some are signed; some are not, with no real rhyme or reason to the pattern of signatures.

I wrote to the Blais Gallery a while back and they said that not all Chalet glass is signed.  I wish it were though, it'd save a few headaches, eh?
I am not a man

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
oh yes
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
Yes, Max, it would definitely help. Thanks for offering your information. I think I'm going to go with Chalet on the red cigar ashtray. The Caithness is obvious. And quite a nice bud vase. I didn't know Caithness' output was so incredeibly varied. It truly would have been a shame if it closed shop. I hope Darlington treats it right. Anybody have any notion about the "purple basket" piece?

Connie

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
The angle of the pictures of the basket make it very hard to discern the details and scale.  For purposes of identification, it is best to take a picture at a straight 90 deg angle to the object at eye level.

If the purple basket is not Chalet, then I would guess Murano or maybe Chinese.  About 8 years old very similar baskets were abundant in discount stores such as, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
good call
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 04:38:19 PM »
Sandra, DenCill, and Max, who got the Chalet Art Glass attribution, or leaned towards it; you are 100% correct. You definitely know your glass and could probably be the kind of antique dealer we really need in this world - one with knowledge, class, and style. An antique dealer who knows what he or she is talking about. I'm looking forward to any books you might be planning.

An antique dealer in town with ties to Canadian glassmakers, factories, and studios - past and present (and shops, including the Guild Shop in Toronto) - has confirmed that the red cigar ashtray is Chalet Art Glass. She said that a number of factors were easily discernible to the knowing eye. She has six Chalet examples of varying designs in her shop. My sister was so fascinated by the piece and loved the discussion on the GMB that she went to a bunch of antique shops in the area - there are hundreds. She was very pleased with your comments and is again pleased at this new confirmation.

The antique dealer can't "peg" the "purple basket," but thinks that it is a decorative piece of factory American art glass, although she wouldn't completely rule out Murano. She stated that she was not a Murano expert and that really knowing Murano takes years of study and practice.

This is one of the things I love about the GMB. Until a week ago I had never even heard of Chalet Art Glass. Now it rolls off the tongue. The ability to ask questions of experts and collectors is terrific.

Thanks for your assistance.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 04:28:44 AM »
Okay, so now I am confused again (don't you say it  :roll: ) but I had id'd the red bowl as murano 'cuz it was so similar to mine (with the clear bits on the side)

Here is the link to mine

http://www.ysartglass.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-12

So what makes mine murano (as identified by I think Frank) and this one Chalet  :oops:  :?:  :D

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand