No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Verlys and Cameo and Custard glass  (Read 2780 times)

Offline GLASDIERTJE

• Members
Verlys and Cameo and Custard glass
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
thank you very much for the explanations about the marks on glass
It 'reads' very complicated for me...;-)

I have OTHER questions
FIRST
What is a moulded signature? it is about VERLYS...the little 'glass fact file' book tells me Verlys France has a moulded signature and the US Verlys an etched....but then there is also marked the French is marked point or pressed
There is no example in the book about a Verlys signature and I wonder how I can be sure the 'Verlys' word on a glass bird is real?
I only want authentic correct signed birds in my glass bird collection, that is why I ask these questions
SECOND
What is the difference between CAMEO and CUSTARD glass, how can I recognize this on a picture about a glass bird...(fenton birds)

Again thank you very much!!!...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
Re: Fenton colors cameo and custard.

Fenton custard glass is a pale yellow and can be glossy or satin.

Here is a Fenton custard basket

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/458193/item458193store.html#item

Fenton Cameo is a brownish beige color usually found as a satin color.

Here is an example of Cameo satin

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/beaubow/item/0983

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »
Regarding Verlys signiatures, generally an incised (scratched into the surface) diamond point signiature is associated with US production, French glass having a moulded signiature, pressed into the glass during manufacture.

There are a number of exceptions, however. Firstly early French Verlys glass, the blown, internally decorated wares produced from the mid 1920's, are signed in diamond point, usually with a model number as well. Likewise, some later mould blown art deco French pieces are seen with a diamond point signiature and I have seen some examples completely unmarked.

The French mark is moulded in relief, usually in the interior centre of bowls & vases. I have pieces marked variously 'Verlys France' 'A Verlys France' and just 'Verlys'.

Some Verlys patterns produced in the US also bear a moulded signiature. US examples of the thistles bowl, for example often carry a moulded 'Verlys' mark to the centre, with or without an additional diamond point signiature to the underside. I also have a US made opalescent Cabochons/ gems vase which carries both a moulded and diamond point incised signiature.

There have been a number of reissues of Verlys bowl patterns from old moulds. These turn up in France quite frequently but are usually easy to spot as they are poorly finished and show an uneven 'orange peel' or crazed type surface resulting from the use of an old and corroded mould. there have been quite a few on the French ebay site recently. Because they come from an original mould, however, they do carry a moulded Verlys mark. The reissues are to my knowledge, never frosted/ satinised as was a great deal of original Verlys.

The best way to determine if the bird is genuine is to refer to the Verlys catalogues. These have been reprinted in two books, Verlys of France and Verlys of America, both by Wayne & Carol McPeek. They are no longer in print but turn up on US ebay fairly frequently. If you post a picture of the bird here, I might be able to identify it, though i don't have the full catalogues as yet (still trying to track down the McPeek books).

I hope this is of help,

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand