No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some very pretty Victorian embellished pieces  (Read 1964 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Some very pretty Victorian embellished pieces
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »
Well I finally found the box I was talking about ages ago, with the thorns and embellised vases, and here are the first three...

First one, I have seen this shape by Kralik, but I haven't seen anything attributed to them that wasn't iridescent.  This is not iridised, no fluorescence either.  Is it Kralik or English?  

http://clarkagency.co.uk/clicpicnov/_local_kralik_curved.htm

Second, lovely pale green leaves on an opalescent thorn vase - black light turns the pale green bright lime green, the opalescent vases much less so.  I am assuming English?  Any manufacturers known?

http://clarkagency.co.uk/clicpicnov/_local_opal_thorn.htm

Thirdly, a lovely (to my eyes!) bright yellow and vaseline lime green vase.  I turned the black light on expecting vividness.... did it heck.  Nothing.  So it's not really vaseline, just lime green.  So where and when for this?  

http://clarkagency.co.uk/clicpicnov/_local_jip_lime.htm

Thanks for any ideas.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:18:46 PM »
Love em all, especially the thorns. First one doesn't quite look English. Second one, possibly English and Stourbridge. Leni's got relatives of the third one but no attribution

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:19 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
Love em all, especially the thorns. First one doesn't quite look English. Second one, possibly English and Stourbridge. Leni's got relatives of the third one but no attribution

Thanks Christine, I love the Kralik - ish one , the applied flowers are so , well, blowsy!   :lol:  :lol:

I have got pairs for some of these, but the 2nd ones are rather damaged.  Do you think it is nice to offer them as a pair even with damage, or does it put people off buying the good one, if they have to take a damaged one as well?  

I can never make up my mind about pairs.   I tend to offer them separately, they seem to make more that way, even though the experts on telly always yammer on about a pair being worth more than two singles...
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »
Fascinating!  :shock:  Thanks for showing us  :D

I'd agree, the first doesn't look English to me, but I'm not sure about the second one either.  Also, it has a 'later' look to me   :?  And are the top edges cut and ground rather than fire polished?  I'm not sure it's Stourbridge, or maybe it's not Victorian - maybe one or the other?  I'm really unsure about it!  

I definitely have a relative or a couple of relatives of the third one!  I thought they were uranium too, but under black light they only show the very dullest green glow!  

As for pairs, well, I have several nearly-pairs!  It's said they were usually paired up when they were made and that the most similar ones were called 'pairs', because they are usually all slightly different.  If you have a real pair as oppposed to a nearly pair I reckon they might be worth more together!
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »
Hi Lynne,
nice selection of items, my kind of gear....& Leni's too, I bet! :D
Okay, number 1 vase is probably Kralik, C.1900s...they are more known for these pieces in iridised as you said, but why wouldn't they make some non-iridised items, too? At least you can be sure that it is Bohemian, & definitely not English. I'm 99 percent sure it's Kralik....the flower on this is SO Kralik.
Number 2 vase....this is a bit more ambiguous.It does seem English, but these ones are usually yellow vaseline & don't have different coloured leaf trails. It's the colour scheme & leaf trail that actually make me lean more towards Bohemian C.1890s-1900s for this one. There's just something about it that doesn't seem quite convincingly English.
Lovely thing it is where-ever it hails from! :)
Last vase.....now this one looks English to me for some indefinable reason, perhaps it's the relatively simple shape. C.1880s-1900.Nice colour even if it doesn't glow. There's plenty of j.i.p vase collectors out there that would like it anyway.
BTW did you know that there is some vaseline that doesn't glow? It can only be detected via a geiger counter.
Hope this has helped a little bit!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:42:11 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Fascinating!  :shock:  Thanks for showing us  :D

I'd agree, the first doesn't look English to me, but I'm not sure about the second one either.  Also, it has a 'later' look to me   :?  And are the top edges cut and ground rather than fire polished?  I'm not sure it's Stourbridge, or maybe it's not Victorian - maybe one or the other?  I'm really unsure about it!  

Both these first two are cut and ground, quite flat. The thorn (#2) base has distinct shear marks along the sides, these carry down from the casing on the vase sections - the opal is flashed to the inside.  No mould lines on any of them anywhere that I can see.  I did wonder whether the base shape on #1 might throw some light on the origin.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
Quote from: "heartofglass"
Hi Lynne,
nice selection of items, my kind of gear....& Leni's too, I bet! :D
Okay, number 1 vase is probably Kralik, C.1900s...they are more known for these pieces in iridised as you said, but why wouldn't they make some non-iridised items, too? At least you can be sure that it is Bohemian, & definitely not English. I'm 99 percent sure it's Kralik....the flower on this is SO Kralik.
Number 2 vase....this is a bit more ambiguous.It does seem English, but these ones are usually yellow vaseline & don't have different coloured leaf trails. It's the colour scheme & leaf trail that actually make me lean more towards Bohemian C.1890s-1900s for this one. There's just something about it that doesn't seem quite convincingly English.
Lovely thing it is where-ever it hails from! :)
Last vase.....now this one looks English to me for some indefinable reason, perhaps it's the relatively simple shape. C.1880s-1900.Nice colour even if it doesn't glow. There's plenty of j.i.p vase collectors out there that would like it anyway.
BTW did you know that there is some vaseline that doesn't glow? It can only be detected via a geiger counter.
Hope this has helped a little bit!

Marinka, that is so very helpful.  Thanks all of you, I am very grateful.

Only two more box fulls to go....I'll pop them up as I go so you can all have a gander.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:52:03 PM »
One more thing,
cut & ground tops are traditionally thought to indicate Bohemian origin.
(I'm sure English makers did them too, at times.)
Looking forward to seeing more of your box-fulls of glass! :)
Happy to be of assistance. :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
I wouldn't have any scruples about splitting pairs if they are only two of BUT I wouldn't split proper pairs, i.e., where they are mirror images and I would make sure I pointed this out. I have a pair of very simple creamy coloured uranium ribbed glass vases with a spray of flowers in mirror image. Got them for a song because of poor photo and lack of seller knowledge. I suspect you might get more for two if you split them and one is damaged because you have two markets - the near perfects (what would I do with a damaged one!!) - and the Leni and I's of this world who are happy with some damage because we don't have to pay so much for something we just want to enjoy.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
I wouldn't have any scruples about splitting pairs if they are only two of BUT I wouldn't split proper pairs, i.e., where they are mirror images and I would make sure I pointed this out. I have a pair of very simple creamy coloured uranium ribbed glass vases with a spray of flowers in mirror image. Got them for a song because of poor photo and lack of seller knowledge. I suspect you might get more for two if you split them and one is damaged because you have two markets - the near perfects (what would I do with a damaged one!!) - and the Leni and I's of this world who are happy with some damage because we don't have to pay so much for something we just want to enjoy.

That is my suspicion as well, I think it will put off the near perfects completely, who won't want to pay postage for something they will probably chuck out.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand