No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opinions sought- is this vase old or new?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Opinions sought- is this vase old or new?
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:35:56 AM »
I've spotted this rather nice vase on Ebay, but for once I'm a bit stumped as to it's age.
It's unusual-looking inclusions of swirling threads remind me a bit of Peloton glass (especially these pastel colours) but Peloton is an applied decoration on the surface of an item, whereas these threads or cane pieces are cased under a clear layer. Which makes me think maybe it's more recent, even 20th C. Murano or a studio piece.
It looks Victorian, & apparently it does have some wear to the base. But I'm not sure if it's old or not as I've not seen one quite like before.
Does anyone recognise it, & if so, any opinions on age, origin, etc, would be appreciated! :)
Thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270054527421
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:48:09 AM »
looks contemporary chinese to me - especially because of the intense blue and the weak milky inside - and because you don't get to see the tell tale underside.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »
Thanks for that Ivo,
I really wasn't sure whether to bid or not, I'm watching a few things at the moment & I sort of liked the look of this vase but wasn't totally convinced by it either because I hadn't seen a piece quite like it.....if it's new I think I'll leave it.
I'm trying to stick to Victorian pieces. :roll:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand