No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: anybody recognize this small glass horse?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline gisela

• Members
anybody recognize this small glass horse?
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:12:33 AM »
Hello all!  I started collecting Murano glass within the last year or so but much identification is still beyond me.   I love this little horse and would like to know more about it.  It's only 1 1/2 inches high and 3 inches long but it's very detailed for the size, quite animated, has a rough pontil mark and appears to be aventurine glass.   Thanks for your help and cheers, Gi

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4236
ethinksthereforeI...whatwerewetalkingabout?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:25:12 AM »
Hi Gisela
your horse picture is so small that there is not enough detail to see what we want to know - can you do a larger one?

I really like your bear bottle - I think it may be Russian.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline gisela

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »
Thanks Ivo

I will do my best to take some better and larger pictures (My camera is not good and the horse is a small piece).  In the meantime let me describe it to you:  I don't know how "horsey" you are but this tiny piece shows a combed mane, forelock, fetlocks, mouth, eyes, leg joints and musculature.

Funny you should mention the bear, it is a fun piece.  I bought it on eBay from the Netherlands.  I didn't think it was Murano, but what the heck!

Cheers, Gi
ethinksthereforeI...whatwerewetalkingabout?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: anybody recognize this small glass horse?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
I've just received from Lithuania a set of postcards from the Art Collections of Soviet Museums - Ukrainian Folk Glassware.  The set appears to have been printed in 1975.
Within the set of cards there is a bear decanter very similar to the one on this link but my picture has applied black(maybe dark green but appear black) pincered trails.  So I thought I'd add some info from the card, although I'm not sure what age the one on this post dates to.
On the card relating to the bear decanter printed it says 18th century.  It also says 'The portrayal of the bear in Ukrainian folk art has a long tradition.  It is possible that this is a survival of bear worship amongst the ancient Slavs.  In the 18th century, bottles shaped as bears were an indispensable attribute of a Ukrainian village wedding feast.'
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: anybody recognize this small glass horse?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
About the horse -- the thickness of the body and joints in the legs make me favor Taiwan or China. I can't see much in the small picture, but chances are it is molded. Many of their figurines are.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand