No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Gran's Monart Vase  (Read 2120 times)

Offline macdee

• Members
My Gran's Monart Vase
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
Hi, I'm the newest member and thought I might share this with you all. My gran left me a beautiful Monart vase in her will. It is the pride of my glass collection and sits on a shelf well out the road of my labrador's tail. :wink:

She was given it as a wedding present in the 1930's. Also lived in Creiff in Perthshire . Anyroads .... I've never seen one with the same shape (applied foot). It stands 7.5 inches tall and might be quite rare.

Any of you experts seen this shape before? Any info on it would be nice.

Thanks Yvie xx
unrise On The Sufferbus.

Offline macdee

• Members
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »
My Mum told me a story tonight that will have you monart heads crying. My Great Aunt was given another Monart vase when she got married. It is the same colour but a different shape. She decided to wash it one day and poured water from the freshly boiled kettle into it. :shock:

Needless to say CCRRAACCKK  and the bottom fell out.!

:roll:  :(
unrise On The Sufferbus.

Offline Leni

• Members
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:16:31 PM »
Well, I suppose that's the sort of 'accident' that makes things rarer and therefore more valuable!   :roll:   :wink:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
Hi Yvie,

Welcom aboard.

It is shape OJ http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page11.htm (I should put a less wonky example in there :). Not wildly rare in terms of Monart which means it is rare in terms of collectable glass and it is probably a unique combination as the lower colour was not used much.

I presume that the bottom half is the peachy colour and not orange? If so try it under fluorescent lighting, it is the one Monart colour that loves fluorescent. It was not a widely used colour and only ever seen it on a handful of pieces.

Presumably your gran was a neighbour to the Ysart's?

Offline macdee

• Members
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 11:41:43 PM »
Hi Frank, thanks for the welcome. :)

Thanks for the info on the vase, I think the picture might not show the colour to it's best but it has an orange/yellow lower half. The example shown, on the ysart site, does look quite wonky, mabye he was drunk that day. lol.

I'm going to invest in a glass display cabinet with fluorescent lighting, so I can really appreciate it's beauty.

I have read that the Ysart's lived in Creiff, but as far as I'm aware my family did not know them. Pity. :wink:  

Best wishes
Yvie xx
unrise On The Sufferbus.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
If it is Orange/yellow then it will not like fluorescent lighting - makes it dull.

Offline macdee

• Members
My Gran's Monart Vase
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »
Good tip Frank, thanks once again.  :)
unrise On The Sufferbus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand