No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard - Mistaken Identity...  (Read 15893 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard - Mistaken Identity...
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »
I'd like to include a section on the Holmegaard reference site I'm busy furrowing away on which covers glass mistakenly (or, more often than not, fraudulently) attributed to the glassworks by dealers, in the hope that it will help collectors become a little more savvy in their purchases. It would be nice to identify a few of the more common faux-megaards, for the purpose of the site.

Does anybody recognise any of these?

Red baluster vase - these pop up in Germany quite often.

JE Bang "Style" Vase. Warning, this auction contains the words 'Gull' and 'Equisite' - so I'm sure many of you know which seller it is before you click. *shudders* But these vases pop up frequently in antiques centres as Holmegaard/Kastrup.

Blue Baluster Vase

Modern Green Vase - smells like Poland or China.

The 'Gull' Vase spreads to other sellers... *shudders*

This is just from one quick sweep of eBay, but they're generally the most common ones. It's sad how many of them fetch higher prices than genuine Holmegaard - especially when it comes to very modern, very cheap cased glass in 'retro' patterns that regularly fetch £40-£60 (or even more - I've seen them go off at £150+ before) under the guise of Holmegaard.

Does anybody have any photographs of any of the above pieces they'd be willing to donate to the project? You'd receive full credit on the site, of course. The plea also applies to any vaguely Holmegaard-ish pieces that aren't Holmegaard.

Also, does anybody have any further additions to the above list?

I'm hoping this qualifies as a main board topic, rather than Cafe chatter, as it should bring up a few helpful bits.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Holmegaard - Mistaken Identity...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
While I can't help very such, I would definitely consider this a main Glass topic and I wish you good luck with this project!

Please provide a URL as and when something is ready :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
Thanks, David.

It shouldn't be *too* long before it's up and ready, as it will only be a basic slip of a thing... my web-making skills (beyond those of tossing together html mock-ups for cleverer folk than I to turn into real sites) are next-to-useless!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »
Nic, I thought I had a photo of something like Palette in my pics...I found it, knew it was Ivo's pic but couldn't find anything about Portieux (as I'd labelled it) on the net that was in this style.  Searched GMB and found the thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2865.msg21900.html#msg21900

You've probably made a note already...just realised you comment on that thread too...duh to me. 

(PS:  Kind of neat, as I say in that thread that I'll save the photo to a folder - and I did...lol)

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
I've got it saved and tucked away too!  ;D

I've got hundreds of now seemingly quite random photos I've saved from various sources since I started to take a real interest in Holmegaard... which was probably around the time that Portieux post hails from (I'm still a newbie at this!). It's a shame that I can't really use most of them online - due to copyright issues - but they're still useful for my own reference.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »
My guesses- and I stresses guesses!
1. Taube
2. Empoli
3. Elme
4. China
5. Empoli

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
My guesses- and I stresses guesses!
1. Taube
2. Empoli
3. Elme
4. China
5. Empoli

I had considered Elme for #3, but all of the bits and bobs of cased Elme I own have fire-polished rims. The photographs on the auction make that one look ground and polished.

#2 - Empoli is an interesting one - I was suspecting Polish. The vases seem to show up regularly on eBay UK (and at UK car boots), but not really anywhere else... as far as I've noticed.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
Starters for ten ;D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/colouredglass005.jpg
Left to right:  Italian, Empoli (?), Chinese (?)

Thanks for those, Anne. I think there are several of the one on the right currently up for sale as Holmegaard as we speak...!

Spotted one here: Auction

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:29 PM »
What a great idea Nic - well done.  If you check in my 'other Italian' glass section I've got a yellow one like the green one above and a bright orange cased vase and I've got an orange Elme in the Scandi glass section that you correctly identified for me - you're welcome those pictures if you want them - just let me know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand