Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Murano & Italy Glass

A new area for me

(1/2) > >>

Leni:
I have recently started to buy a different type of glass from that which I have previously collected and would apreciate some help in identification.  

In the past I have gone for antique, mainly Victorian 'vaseline' glass and some pressed glass.  However, I was recently tempted by some great big lumps of gorgeous glass which I believe is Murano - at least, it was sold as such!  

The first piece is shown here: http://tinypic.com/1r8a2x  http://tinypic.com/1r89lk and I would appreciate if someone could guide me - firstly as to whether it really is Murano - and if so, the date and possibly the maker.  It was clearly designed to be used as an ashtray, but fortunately nobody has!   :roll:

The second piece I bought is quite similar (it hasn't arrived yet).  The colours are the same and the fluid, jelly-like appearance - which makes it look to me as if it should wobble when you touch it   :lol:

I really don't mind if it isn't Morano, as I just love the look and feel of it, whatever it is  :D  However, as you know I do like to find out a maker if I can.  

Thanks folks.  

Leni

RAY:
hi Leni

it's not murano but i think it could be Czechoslovakian hope i spelled that right, i've had some like yours in the past with the Czechoslovakian lable on it but mine was cranberry and green in colour

Ray

Max:
Hi Leni!

I liked your pics, that's very pretty glass you have there.  Like Ray, I'd say it's Czech glass too.  They're often (in fact pretty much always) labelled 'Murano' on Ebay, but you kind of start to recognise them, especially that shape. To my knowledge (sticks her neck out over the parapet..lol) they often include a rather limey green colour, which can help spot them, as it's not a usual 'Murano' colour.

Oh!  Look at me!  With this much neck over the parapet, I shall await being shot down!  <ducks>

xx Max

PS  I reckon that Czech is the 'next big thing' so probably a collectable for the future.  Yippee!   :D

Ivo:
I would guess Belgian, not Czech.  Sure it looks like Murano, but a lot of these thickwalled sommerso ashtrays and drawn out fruit dishes were actually made in Belgium in the 50s and 60s. Companies like Boussu, Val St. Lambert and Doyen Havre have made these in huge quantities.

Leni:

--- Quote from: "Leni" ---The second piece I bought is quite similar (it hasn't arrived yet).  The colours are the same and the fluid, jelly-like appearance - which makes it look to me as if it should wobble when you touch it
--- End quote ---

Second piece just arrived - broken!  It was well packed, too. Clearly wasn't made of jelly!  :cry:  

I couldn't bear to look at it, just wrapped it up again and closed the box!  I just HATE glass getting broken!   :evil:  

Ho hum. At least I have one nice piece   :(  

Thanks for the info on ID folks.  I'll look up the names you mention Ivo.  

And I'll console myself with the Avem bowl I picked up in the Charity shop yesterday afternoon.  Some you win, some you lose, eh?   :roll:
http://tinypic.com/1r9chg

Leni

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version