No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Buttons - from thread w/ Bimini Cordials  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Holly

• Members
Glass Buttons - from thread w/ Bimini Cordials
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:03:22 AM »
With regard to the interest in glass buttons... I am not an expert, but have been collecting for quite a while, and also have quite a few reference books. I inherited a collection of buttons from my other grandmother (not the one who had the cool cordial glasses!) and at first learned much of what I know from books and Ebay. Actually Ebay isn't a bad place to start just to browse all the different types .... just remember some people don't know so much when they are posting and describing, but there are many experts there too. It's fun just to browse the button section, under collectibles and then vintage sewing. Often there are lots of good pictures.

I might be able to answer specific questions or steer someone to learn more, but Glass Buttons is a VERY broad topic. Paperweight buttons are very interesting, comtemporary ones are usually studio buttons made for collectors but some older ones were made to be used. Many victorian buttons are made of molded black glass. There are also "victorian jewels", which are often very ornate. I enjoy some of the "common" buttons such as the art-deco style glass buttons which were solid colors often with gold or silver paint accents that came in many different shapes. Many of the Czech glass buttons hit the mass market after the war, and are being reproduced today. Some of the differnt types are called "Aurora Borealis" (iridescent) and  "Moonglow". Pre-early 1900's buttons would be considered "Old Glass" (vs. "modern") these were often molded, and some types are "lacy glass" "raidants" and "paperweights".

I am not aware of a discussion board like this for buttons, although I think there probably is one. Here is a link to a site with some good examples of glass buttons, and specifics for classifications of the National Button Society (yes... they have competitions and annual shows and it's quite a big thing! :-)
http://www.vintagebuttons.net/glassbuttons.html

Holly

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Glass Buttons - from thread w/ Bimini Cordials
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:44 PM »
Hi Holly,

Thank you for posting this.  The link was very helpful as I have no "language" for describing buttons and those pictures show the detail so clearly that I think I could almost adequately work out how to describe some of mine now.  I'm tempted to get all the boxes out right away but I have to be disciplined and continue the current quest to solve some more of my bigger glass piece mysteries.

Kind regards
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Holly

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 02:42:45 AM »
Hi Cat,
well, good luck with the buttons - I'd love to see some when you decide to get them out. If you want to take pictures of yours the easiest way is just to put them right on the scanner. There are many that are quite common but one of the more unusual types to look for is called a "Tingue" - I found one mixed in with a box of random black glass buttons that belonged to my grandmother. Here's a link with a better description than I could give and some pictures:
http://www.tias.com/articles/buttons/archives/98_02_08/articles.html

good luck!

Holly

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
Interesting posts Holly. Look forward to more. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
I'm bumping this post in case Holly has her own post bookmarked - I'd love her to look at my new Bimini gallery, and make any comments she might like as the new ones are added in.

Bimini and Orplid buttons
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand