No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID of American 2 piece Brilliant Cut Glass Punch Bowl  (Read 3375 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
ID of American 2 piece Brilliant Cut Glass Punch Bowl
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:42:52 PM »
Any help please on the ID pattern of this 2 piece Punch Bowl, I am 99% sure it is American Brilliant cut glass by its saw tooth edge rim and the deep cuts, it stands 10.5" tall and has a diameter of 10.5" , weighs 5.25 kgs, the thickness of the glass is about 0.5",
I have checked all over for any signiture and cannot find one, I would like to try and find out the maker and pattern

regards roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: ID of American 2 piece Brilliant Cut Glass Punch Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:26:51 AM »
Oh, my, Roy - do I envy you that gorgeous punch bowl! We handle some American Brilliant, but I have a difficult time identifying patterns even when there is a mark present, lol, due to so many "variants" made to fit specific shapes.

If you visit Greg Randall's site, http://abpglass.com/, you can email your great photos and measurements of the bowl/stand and he will do his best to find your pattern maker and name.

It is a lovely piece...

Kelli

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Piper

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
I have a hard time identifying patterns in cut and pressed glass too. I agree, there are just too many varients.

That is a beauty!! I've seen that pattern several times on vases, bowls, ect. I live in NY and I wonder if the company that produced it was near my area. That might help a little.
Never trade a diamond for a brick. No matter how bad you need a brick.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
Hi Kelli and Piper

Thanks for the info, I have emailed the pictures and measurements to Greg Randall's site and will wait and see what happens, just to let you know I am in the UK near London where I bought the item, its my 4th piece of Brilliant cut Glass I have found in the last 9 months in the UK, I do have 2 good books "Identifying American Brilliant Cut Glass by Bill and Louise Boggess which I bought from the USA and "The American Cut Glass Industry T.G. Hawkes and his Competitors by Jane Shadel Spillman a large hardback which I found local to me, but as you say to ID any pattern is very difficult even with the help of books

regards roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »
I would just like to thank Kelli for suggesting trying Greg Randalls site  http://abpglass.com/ he has been a great help and ID the Punch Bowl very quickly as Hawkes Raleigh pattern c1910

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand