No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jules Lang Advert in Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review  (Read 4698 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Jules Lang Advert in Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 06:44:13 PM »
Jules Lang did buy from British Companies, ours being one of them. In fact we give their Hatton Garden address as our London Showroom on some of our adverts in teh Pottery Gazette!
If they did not they would have gone under during the war. These however were not made by us. So what did we make for them? They may have marketed our Fantasia range of jugs glasses and plates and the acid etched pink, green and blue plates and large and small bowls.
sadly wedo not invoices to prove what we made for them just photos and samples of items. We still have some moulds listed Mould Owner: Jules Lang. We nearly made the  British Airways Concorde range of large and small wine and tumbler. Western Glass of Basingstoke ( The Heppner family)  pipped lang by half an hour with the enquiry and we only quoted for one wholesaler.the order was over 350k pieces spread over 5 years, so worth having for a hand factory!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
I noticed this morning that Hajdamach cites the Century Glass company as being the manufacturer of the fish handled bowl we usually call Brockwitz. He even gives the mould number. I will investigate this further this evening, but thought a post would get other people thinking. This might explain their commoness and the weight variation discussed elsewhere on the board http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2548.msg18916.html#msg18916.
I think the clue may lie in the flower's absence or presence

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
Hm, further ferreting hasn't got me far, I have found that the coloured ones seems to have unpatterned bottoms.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
Glad I found this despite lacking 'Brockwitz' in the title  :-[
!most interesting - thank you for sharing!  :-*

I will try to contribute tomorrow with photos, weights and measurements of my several fish bowls, however I can say already now that the one in Lang's advert looks as if oval shaped which corresponds to my only clear white one. The coloured ones are all perfectly round and a bit larger.

The pattern of my white bowl is extremely different and definitely originates from another mould.

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »
Century Glass seem to be something we need to find out a lot more about, given that they apparently produced a wide range of items, most of which don't appear to be well-recognised by collectors. I'm keen to know more of them as they certainly made trinket sets (labelled example in my collection.)

There's a mention of the Century dolphin-handled bowls in the topic Max started here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2375.0.html.  

David Watts is also trying to find out more... I managed to trace some entries in the London Gazette about their winding up in the mid-1960s, but there's still a lot more to find out about them!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 08:20:36 PM »
I know this is a fairly old post but I have just been given an amber swallows bowl as shown in the advert. Is there still no manufacturer known for this piece yet?    Cheryl.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 04:55:53 PM »
Not so far as we can tell Cheryl. :'( 

Good to see you back, it's been a while!   :-*
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk