No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID of Vaseline Glass pieces  (Read 6875 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: ID of Vaseline Glass pieces
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
Roy, you are entirely welcome!

now, on to Bernard C:  There was an open salt collector in England by the name of Linda Kelsey, who passed away from cancer about a year or so ago.  She was known to be very informative about english glass salts and english glass in general and lived in the Dudley/Stourbridge region of UK.  she provided this info that I ran in the July 2004 GLOWING REPORT.  You might know of Ronald Beck (I have not had the acquaintance yet).  Anyway, this is what was written:  Linda Kelsey wants to set the record straight!  Ever since Bill Edwards' book (Ency. of Opalescent Glass) came out, people have been calling this pattern WAVES, because Edwards decided to name a piece that already had a name.  Kelsey, who lives in the Dudley/Stourbridge region of England, was informed by Ronald Beck (a collector of Walsh Walsh/Powell/Whitefriars) that the real pattern name is MINSTER KEY.  It was made by John Walsh Walsh and is s highly desirable pattern.  The article then shows a picture contributed by Linda, showing the water pitcher.  If anyone can shed light on this, please chime in.

Dave Peterson

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »
Ever since Bill Edwards' book (Ency. of Opalescent Glass) came out, people have been calling this pattern WAVES, because Edwards decided to name a piece that already had a name.
Dave Peterson
That's the one thing that drives me mad about Bill Edwards' book! :(  He just gives things any name he fancies, because he doesn't happen to know what they were called by the makers!  Aaaarrrrgghhh  >:( >:( >:(

OK, rant over!  :-[ :-X

Seriously though, it's very nice to be able to 'listen in' on you lot - the people I consider to be the 'Big Boys' of vaseline glass!   :-* 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »
Dave:

The triangular berry bowl is one of Gillinder's versions of the D&B pattern which they called "Triangle" amazingly enough!

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:29 PM »
Sid
i thought it might be that, but was doing this "on the fly"
Dave

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »
Dave

I have seen a vaseline item similar to your Walsh Bowl, similar in colour but not sure if the pattern was the same or even if made by Walsh, it was a large Salad Bowl with a silver rim and a pair of matching salad servers with the vaseline handles although they were priced at £275.00, I also found this Heart shape creamer on ebay completed sold as Hobbs 150097799401  

roy

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
the hobbs ID for the heart shaped creamer is incorrect.  "I'm Just Sayin....."

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »
I trust your ID 100% to ID all my items off the top of your head is amazing, all the makers you have named are completely new to me except for Gillinder's as I know they made a glass shoe around 1870's, I think I have learnt alot today , glad I do not find too much American pressed glass in the UK as it seems to be a bit of a mine field 

regards roy

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »
Roy
I am just glad you find a lot of good vaseline/primrose pearline over there for us glassaholics on this side of the pond.  Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand